Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 sportsman of course... no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, using ducati stuff wasn't my question, I asked if I was better using the replacement kit to fix my kokusan stuff

I did some preliminary testing yes, but have no manual to do the factory testing, I have power to the regulator, and good 12vdc, actually 13.3vdc

I will check the other circuits again, I did run thru them nothing glaring wrong, I have no green death

little frustrated as it was working and just stopped, actually I was a little worried at first when I saw the posts about the ducati stories and then had a bunch of relief when I saw the kokusan cdi

By chance can you point me towards some values to test with and the wires to test, to test the stator

Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bmdjmd

little frustrated as it was working and just stopped, actually I was a little worried at first when I saw the posts about the ducati stories and then had a bunch of relief when I saw the kokusan cdi

By chance can you point me towards some values to test with and the wires to test, to test the stator
Again if you have the "Black" finned ecm module it needs to be changed to the updated one on this recall list as it can cause all sorts of problems.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov Here's a link to a cheap 5 buck 2005 manual(which your model really is)that can help you also on stator and other electrical checks if the ecm isn't causing the problems.2005 Polaris Sportsman 600 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I don't have a finned ecm, I have a smooth black one, Thanks for the manual download, I have some new info to get things going

Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bmdjmd
No I don't have a finned ecm, I have a smooth black one, Thanks for the manual download, I have some new info to get things going
Look at this parts list Item #24 NEEDS to be replaced if you have the black module... Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse IT'S Free,NO CHARGE!!! Dealer will replace with this SILVER one. Call any local dealer and give him your vin.. Polaris ATV Surepower ECM Kit 2203350 | eBay This module may or may not be the cause of all your problems,but it still needs to be replaced anyway because of FIRE hazard..

Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OTP, I do have item number 23 in the list you provided, I never saw the other item, as I wasn't looking for it, so in the morning I will look and see about the other items, maybe its already been replaced

Old 02-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Right now though item #24 is more important.. Unless you don't mind on being one of the unlucky ones that their machine burnt to the ground.. I'd contact a dealer ASAP on this and get it replaced,then deal with any other problem if that doesn't fix it..

Old 12-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
IF the Ducati stator is the fault to begin with.. Again get the right battery first. If it is a stator you probably can still find Ducati stators cheap on ebay,but no guarantee any of them a would be worth a flip.. Believe me I under stand people's budgets! I've got a reduced one myself now that I'm retired, but I just hate to see people go through this still using Ducati stators and RM kits. If you keep the machine,I would save up and eventually get the Kokusan ignition kit and be done with it.
just realised i never fallowed up with you on this one. i did replace my stator and use the RM kit. it did fix it, well for now lol i was able to get a new aftermarket stator. been good so far hopefully it stays that way.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope it lasts... I'd cross my fingers for ya if I could..