Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch thoughts 550xp

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch thoughts 550xp

I am having some thoughts on clutching my 550xp.
A kit is in excess of $200 and some are over 300...It has 28" Zillas on it. came stock with 26" tires. I am sure it could use a bit of clutch work but it does well without an clutch mods but the stickier mud definitely clings up the tires and holds them back when in the deep stuff (shich i don't do very often, only occassionally) . anyway, would a simple spring mod do anything to help it out ? something cheaper and a bit easier since it is mostly a trail ridden machine and it seems to do ok in every way except the worst conditions.
I guess i really do not fully understand how the 2 clutches work.
We just installed a QSC clutch on my boys 400ho and i could tell the springs for both clutches are stiffer than the stock ones. also the weights were maybe heavier but we didnt weigh them.
so without a weight change, only a spring mod would that help me out ?

Also i investigated QSC for mine and the 2010 requires a helix change and the company that made them for QSC is no longer in business

Old 01-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Since a Qsc clutch isn't an option now,what about a simple kit from Epi. Products - ATV / UTV - Clutch Kits - Polaris - 550 - Sportsman - EPI Front clutches senses torque/power from the engine,rear clutch senses speed and transmits this to the gear case. That's the practicality about cvt clutches. You're in the right "gear" range at the right rpms at all times.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

So , on the most basic level, the stiffer the spring the slower the clutches react.
what does the weights do ? when they spin they "drive open" the front clutch overcoming the spring pressure ?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

See if this can explain better than I can.
Same principal as a 10 speed bike also. As you start out you have a small front sprocket and larger rear for take off power. As you go through the gears,the front gear becomes larger,the rear smaller for increased speed. And yes the stiffer the front spring the more torque is need to engage the drive clutch and this transmits to a more forceful engagement of the rear. All depends on the spring and weight set up the video talks about. That's where the clutch experts come into play on this. Plus not necessary to get a complete kit. Springs for front and rear along with weights are available.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another place you couldcheck is Dalton Industries.
Dalton | Polaris Main Listing

Old 01-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

thanks OPT and WilliamBos...good info and will be checking out Dalton right now

Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome. If you email Dalton, they are fast to reply. And with thecurrent exchangerate,you will be money ahead too.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I contacted Dalton...and nope they do not make one either...sheesh...and after some soul searching...raising the engagement RPM for an already twitchy engagement quad might not be the best ride-ability choice...Will leave it be for now.

The explanation of how and why it werks the way it does was very helpful tho thanks.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

EPi does have the kits,but people have complained about the harsh engagement.Products - ATV / UTV - Clutch Kits - Polaris - 550 - Sportsman - EPI
Stole this from the Polaris Atv Forum from one poster. May or may not help ya..550 XP Harsh clutch engagement fix - Polaris ATV Forum

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT, gonna give the silver spring swap a try. From what the video you posted explained it seems like the rear clutch gets a tougher spring when ya do a clutch kit thus reducing slippage. Obviously I will not be swapping anything in that clutch so nothing changed there but I never really noticed slippage excelt in deep nasty mud and turning the tires became tough and I don't do deep thick mud very often....but that is an extreme situation anyway. Reduce or eliminate the harsh engagement and the quad is flawless.

Quick Reply: Clutch thoughts 550xp