Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fan thermostat help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan thermostat help

Howdy fellas. I have a 96 explorer 300 aircooled two stroke. The thermostat that brings on the fan broke. I put an override switch on fan to bring on fan manually, how ever I am having a hard time finding the switch. I am a HVAC tech I can install a adjustable thermostatic switch but not sure what temp to set it at. The current switch is mounted to frame under the front seat above the carb. If I knew what temp I could install adjustable stat. I just did a full top end rebuild and don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your time me and old Smokey appreciate it.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

According to my shop manual, the fan comes on at 235 degrees and off at 210 degrees for the 300 two stroke. My sensor is in good shape on my 300 but I am not sure if it will turn the fan on. My fan works when I jump it but I havent ran mine enough to see if it gets hot enough to kick the fan on yet.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My two cents would be to keep the fan on a toggle as the location for the sensor rarely if ever allowed the fans to kick on anyway. Located on the rear engine bracket isn't the best spot plus most broke from vibration over time. Just kick the fan on if when under loads or going slow for extended periods of time. Really don't know why Polaris even had one as most air cooled engines don't have or need fans. Same for the oil cooled 325/330 engines with the fan sensor on the oil cooler. Rarely do they ever kick on unless super hot.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
My two cents would be to keep the fan on a toggle as the location for the sensor rarely if ever allowed the fans to kick on anyway. Located on the rear engine bracket isn't the best spot plus most broke from vibration over time. Just kick the fan on if when under loads or going slow for extended periods of time. Really don't know why Polaris even had one as most air cooled engines don't have or need fans. Same for the oil cooled 325/330 engines with the fan sensor on the oil cooler. Rarely do they ever kick on unless super hot.

Thanks that is reassuring. After having the top end rebuilt I sure wanna keep old Smokey running for a few more years. I really like it. It is 2x4 super simple 4 wheeler. No frills just get it done. And I know the whole history of machine since bought knew. I know all 4 previous owners. I did have to buy use cylinder as the last rebuild after oil pump failure took it beyond a rebore.

It now pulls so hard I have to be careful not to lift front wheels off the ground.

Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good little engines,a tad on the rattling side compared to the quieter 250,but we sold quite a few to farmers,ranchers and just for play. Only thing bad about this oil pump wasn't the pump itself but that Fuji used a hard plastic drive gear that would melt on the early models. After going back to the metal gear that the 250 used this little engine was a strong durable play,work machine.But this was enough to turn some people to premixing fuel which is really not necessary.Item #17 was the culprit that was changed after the first batch of engines. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse