Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 new TBAP harness still get 41

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sportsman 700 new TBAP harness still get 41

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and also new to the large twin, 4wd type quads and have historically been into the more racing type quads. I recently bought my first after settling on a 2005 sportsman 700 EFI. It has 179 hours and 1200 miles. I have a feeling that they saw me coming a mile away and that they new something was wrong when they sold it to me. Of course they said that it had never given them a single problem. It seemed to run fine when i test drove it but it was only around the block and in a little bit of dirt to make sure that the 4wd operated as it should.

To try and make a long story short, I am incredibly frustrated with this thing. It is giving the code 41, and 45. Before I got on the right track, I replaced the fuel pump, and fuel filter so I know those are now good to go. I then made the progression to the wiring harness to the TBAP. I was sure that this would do it because I found a wire that was broken but unfortunately this also has not helped. I then went ahead and replaced the wire from the TBAP all the way to where the wire terminates. Still nothing. I am told that I do not have to worry about replacing the actual sensor itself which I think may be true because 100% of all the forums that I have read contain these wonderful stories about how well the harness worked for them. I have just gone online and ordered the new sensor. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else that I can check while I wait yet another week to get yet another part? BTW I also bought MAF Cleaner and cleaned the sensor. I cannot find any cracks in the rubber for the intake. Throttle bodies were cleaned as well.

I am eternally greatful for any and all help as this has been a real pain in the a$$.

thanks guys and gals

Old 02-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Replacing just the one wire may not solve all of the problem. Cheap connectors along with the thin wiring is. Could be the pins in the connector are not making good contact,have pulled back,along with these wires are bad about melting internally. Feel for any soft wire,not just broken ones. When you give up as most people do best to get the better repair kits offered now. I replaced the cheap Polaris kits over and over. Wish at the time I had these from this place. Only The Best Plus might help to read the "sticky post" above the Polaris expert section on 700 efi wiring problems. These posts led to a member creating these improved harness repair kits.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

HI Old Polaris Tech,
I cant believe that I was lucky enough to have you reply to my post. I have read a ton of your posts and you really know your polaris quads. I dont suppose that I was clear enough. I did purchase the aftermarket wiring harness and completely replaced three of the four wires from the harness all the way to where they terminate up in the front of the quad. One of the wires doesnt go that far, it just goes into another bundle of wires near the motor but I did connect it into the new harness as well. I am just not sure where to go from here. I cant help but to feel like I'm going to find that the sensor wasn't the problem once it comes in. Ill check the sticky post that you mentioned. Thanks!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think I understand now. I've had to tear into the main trunk line also when repair kits didn't completely solve the problem. Pain in the neck to have to do that,but the alternative would be a new harness if you can't find the problem there or the sensor itself doesn't solve it. Most shops wouldn't take the time like an average owner would on this because labor trying to find a short would eat up the price of a new harness assembly real quick.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just looked online at a new harness and can get one for about 200 bucks. This doesnt particularly have me jumping for joy but I suppose its not the end of the world. I am a novice mechanic and don't know that I have the expertise to be chasing shorts around the quad. However the wiring harness looks like it is mostly plug and play? If the new sensor doesn't work, is this what you recommend doing? How difficult is it for a novice to replace the entire harness?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plug an play as you said.. Always easiest for me to start at the rear of the machine and run the new harness and connect while moving the old harness aside as you go. This way it won't confuse you as to what goes where. Just take your time and it's not that bad of a job. Hope it doesn't come down to that and you're able to find the problem.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really appreciate your input and encouragement. I don't mean to wear you out but if the new sensor doesn't solve the problem, this is where you would start? Either replacing the harness or tracking down a short in the wires? I wont likely try to track down any shorts and just proceed to replacing the harness. Nothing else to check first?

Old 02-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the sensor doesn't solve it, and if it still runs bad,cuts out,back fires,erratic idle which is symptoms of the tbap,I'd still take the time to trace wires a little at a time. Also codes may not always reflect what's wrong. A tps harness wiring short can do basically the same thing. Code 45 and 46 applies to the tbap,41 shows an air temp short which may or may not be bogus and is in the rear of the air box.I'd check all this thin wiring coming from the sensors.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech,
I just realized something after reading your post. Initially when I first checked the codes, it was giving me two codes. (41&45) I replaced the TBap harness and it still didnt run good but I never checked the codes again until last night. When I did check the codes again it only showed a code 41 which would lead me to believe that perhaps I just need to trace/replace the wire that is going to the air temp sensor. Perhaps the harness did fix one of the problems after all. I will check the air temp sensor wiring tomorrow and let you know what I find. Is the sensor mounted behind the air box? Whenever I google air temp sensor the Tbap pops up.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Your model doesn't show to have the air temp sensor in the box. The 2006 500efi did. Item#29.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse That's why some codes may be bogus as speedos may be used for different models and throw codes like this. You can disconnect the battery and see if this code disappears.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 new TBAP harness still get 41