Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman: looking for OTP.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman: looking for OTP.

Hey guys/gals. Looking forward to what this forum has to offer. Was referred to from some guys on a fb page. Reccomended i talk to Old Polaris Guy (OTP) but any help is appreciated with thia issue.. So the wife has a 2013 polaris sportsman 500ho. Only has 400miles on it. Hasn't been abused. Ran into issues with it this week and is seeking for help. So i/she used to easily do a donut/spin tires out no problem on the sportsman. Today i cant. Also it seems to have very lil power while riding it. B4 we put it up for the night, we washed it off. I figured maybe some water got into the belt housing somehow and i opened the drain plug but nothing came out. Decided it must be the belt worn out(altho no beltdust or belt missing)... so i changed the belt, test drove it and is STILL having the same issue. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated. Wife is upset that she cant ride it right now. Lol and i'm upset i cant figure out whats wrong. As we rode it a couple days ago without issues!! I have had 3 2007 polaris sportsman 700twins and a 800 rzr this is the first 2013 500. Basically... we hoped on it yesterday and it seemed like it was stuck in 1st or something i dno. Drove it around and it picked up speed. Cant do any wheelies, spin outs, but it will drive. Throw the quad in nutural it revs up like always. High/Low i believe it revs up normal as well but isnt putting power to the tires. Again: Extreme powerloss. Wont get up n go. Ran fantastic b4 we put it up after washing it.

Any help to resolve this is appreciated.
Ben H.

Last edited by TraxxasBeamer; 02-25-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a clutch problem...will it still do its top speed?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
sounds like a clutch problem...will it still do its top speed?
I am not for sure. Will have that update in an hr. I know i can pick up speed slowly. But not fast at all.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

when ur picking up speed slowly, is the engine still revving high or is it reving slow with your speed..

im picturing your primary might be sticking, but, opt will have a better answer im sure lol

Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

when ur picking up speed slowly, is the engine still revving high or is it reving slow with your speed..

im picturing your primary might be sticking, but, opt will have a better answer im sure lol
Top speed is fine. Motor seems fine. Rev seems fine. It's not grabbing like it should. Sanding the clutch now to see if that makes a difference

Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

while you have the cover off keep it in nuetral and rev it, see if the clutches are traveling in and out fully(belt on)

Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it has no power taking off, then it sound like a clutch issue. is the belt glazed? you really should not sand your clutch dics as they will actually make the sheaves have issue later. a scouring pad works good for what your doing. i'm not up on the newer bikes but if the secondary clutch still has buttons they might have got worn out and causing the shift to be sluggish

Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

while you have the cover off keep it in nuetral and rev it, see if the clutches are traveling in and out fully(belt on)
They are... they are moving in and out very smoothly.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya never mind about the buttons as i just checked and you have a roller clutch in their

Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gage is acting funny. Just turned it on to run it and its flashing HOT check enging when mototir nor nothing is even warm yet. Also showing 4wd is on but its not.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman: looking for OTP.