Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay if you are still with me, great! I took some pictures. I think the problem is def the rims, the offset is gigantic. I swapped one rim around, now the treads are in the wrong direction and the air nipple is on the wrong side, but I can live with that! But it does look like I have a part of the suspension awful close to the rim.

Currently, measuring from the center rim to the outside of the rim is 6 inches. If I flip the rim around, it is only 3 inches out, with the 6 inches under the ATV (which would of course reduce the overall width). The last picture shows what I believe to be part of the suspension awful close to the rim, which may or may not matter. Again, I am a newbie here...

Thoughts? Should I try running them this way or hit the bank and get some new rims and tires that are stock?

Again, thanks for reading and I appreciate any input!

Attached Thumbnails Newbie Tire Question-3out.jpg   Newbie Tire Question-6out.jpg   Newbie Tire Question-tooclose.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, another suggestion that I had thought of making was to check to see if the prior owner had reversed the rims.....LOL, guess not in your case, their just really wide. Try to reverse them, just make sure the wheels won't/don't rub any brake parts, the valve stems to rub anything, and tires don't rub the suspension anywhere. If thats all good, and the bike feels safe/stable, you can alway drill the rims, add the valve stem to the other side of each wheel...

Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like it would tear the valve stem off but you can turn the wheel by hand and see if it hits.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It looks like it would tear the valve stem off but you can turn the wheel by hand and see if it hits.
It may... But one can remove the valve stem, and pull it in backwards ( new stem ) so the stem is inside the wheel. Then drill the other side and have a valve stem sticking out.....to add air as needed. Done this many times

Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it looks like they are mounted backwards. Looks like previous owner switched to get a wider stance for better stability and keeping out of ruts.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everybody! Yesterday on CL someone posted some takeoffs off a Polaris Sportsman. Went to look at them, they were STINKIN BEAUTIFUL! So I bought them up. Should have them on this weekend, might post a pic. Should look pretty good, new chrome rims with shiny black rubber against mud covered faded red, lol!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Sigh...now it looks like the lugs aren't long enough....the old rims were only 1/8 thick (approx) and the new ones are more like 1/2 inch thick. Not enough bolt sticking out to grab on to...

Options?

Attached Thumbnails Newbie Tire Question-lugs.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can get extended studs.Had to do that a lot at the shop.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris Sportsman 400, year 2001. Currently has 25x12-10 on rear. This makes the unit about 52 inches wide.

The Sportsman is no wider then any other full size atv. My 2001 500 has the same chassis as your 400 and its 46" wide. Here's the spec of your ATV 2001 Polaris Sportsman 400 ATVs maybe you have one heck of wheel spacers?

I have 11" wide rear tires not 12" so your ATV should be only 47" wide.

A great trail in our limit limits the ATVs to 50 inches and there are little gates all along the way at every crossing that won't let me through....
Maybe the guy who dug the post holes for the gate could not read a measuring tape?

Old 04-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You can get extended studs.Had to do that a lot at the shop.Polaris Rzr Long Wheel Studs for Custom Rims - YouTube
Thanks! Talked to the shop, they also think some different nuts might do the job (acorn shaped) he called them. Narrow where it attaches to the wheel, and wide at the top so the socket can grab it. Good to know I have options!

Quick Reply: Newbie Tire Question