Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 400 xplorer engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check that your tank vent line is clean and open plus the atmospheric vent line on the carb isn't kinked or restricted in anyway also.Either one can cause one to vapor lock,run a little while until it gets another glug of air.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have i gotten myself into with this project.....a money pit!!!!
Keep in mind, the motor blew on me after riding only about 20 feet, so some of these issues are just starting to arrise. Guess I gotta learn to stop believing everything a seller tells me!!!

I replaced the fuel line with the original line that was on the machine, I seem to have better flow to the carb now. The only way to get the machine to idle though, is to screw the big idle screw all the way in. Not sure what that's all about. I originally cleaned the carb, then I put in a carb kit, then cleaned again,all new 32:1 gas. So essentially cleaned it three times since rebuilding motor. While working on this I noticed a slice in the return coolant line. Not a huge deal, I can just replace that.
Here's the kicker....while I was working on the carb, I noticed a rough spot on the transmission case, just above the chain sprocket. To my surprise, there is a huge piece broke off and missing. I assume the chain broke and slapped the case. That would explain the transmission fluid all over after my first ride. I thought I hadn't tightened the drain plug enough after changing the oil, not the case.
What to do now? Look for a used transmission or part this thing out?
Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting sick of all the dissapointment!!!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Chance you take on a fixer upper.Only you can decide to continue, find some cases or sell it as it is and walk away. You can have problems on any machine regardless of brand.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was calling around a couple wrecker yards and one of the guys told me just to JB weld a piece of alluminum and good to go. I guess it cant hurt anything to try. $20 is a lot better than $300-$600 for a used transmission that may or may not have issues of its own. As far as im concerned, this transmission is garbage so if I make it worse, oh well. Has anyone had any success trying this. I see lots of posts and youtube vids on the internet regarding this with differing outcomes.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not a lot of pressure on the gear case as far as fluid goes. Mainly just matters on how big the damage area is and if it's small enough for JB weld to repair over it. I've see several at the shop over the years that people have done this on with no leaking.