Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Portal Gear Lift

Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Portal Gear Lift

Anyone had the portal gear lift on their machines? Thinking that might be the next mod on my Highlifter. Looks to be a much more reliable option for lifting and way less work to install.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Never seen anybody use them, anywhere. Maybe down South at the big mud competitions.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 05-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

They are pricey but can get the kit for $2800 shipped. Only other option is getting a complete 6" lift that comes with axles, a-arms, shocks, etc and those run $400-$500 more... Plus the 6" kits really widen the machine whereas the portal kit is about equivalent to adding 2" spacers.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Got it on the way!!! Had them listed for $2899/BO on eBay direct from SATV. Bid $2700 and they countered with $2850 free shipping. I countered with $2800/free shipping and never got a reply before the offer expired so submitted my last offer of $2850/free shipping and they never replied to that either before expiring. Messaged them directly letting them know I was good with paying their offer of $2850/free shipping with no reply... As luck would have it, went on eBay tonight and another retailer for them had it listed $2899/BO with free shipping AND included a 3500# winch w/synthetic rope and a t-shirt. Offered $2850 shipped and they accepted right away I'll post some pics once I get it installed.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would be interested to see how to install and it perform. Update us.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bengear90
Would be interested to see how to install and it perform. Update us.
I agree. Could you snap pics of the install? That would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Will do! Showed up today so will probably install this weekend if I don't go wheeling. Next week for sure since I took it off. Still have to tear my truck apart to do the egr/dpf delete, install the 5" exhaust, and hook up the tuner so going to be a busy week...

Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Also figured since I'm lifting it I might as well upgrade tires/rims. After tons of searching and racking my brain I went with the new Silverback MT2 from 33x10-15 mounted on STI HD5 beadlock rims with orange rings. Anyone on here from Northern MN (I'm in Duluth) that is interested in the stock Outlaw 2's 29.5x9.5-14 on black aluminum rims w/lugs (only a few rides on them and like new) I'll sell those for $750.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Here's before, during, and after pics as promised. You basically have to assemble everything, but not that bad to do. The backing plates connect to the balljoints and tie rod, gear box bolts to that, big nut gets loctited to the axle up top and then a sealed cover goes over it, caliper bracket to the gearbox, hub/rotor assembly (they provide 3 different sets of lugs that need to be pressed in-just need to choose the set for your machine) goes on bottom splined shaft and is secured with a castle nut like oem hubs. Brake lines are also included and those need to be run. Fill the gear boxes with 80w90 and you're ready to roll.

Few minor issues. First, the instructions say to use the stock bolts from the ball-joints but they're too small diameter so I had to remedy that. Second, the hardware kit was missing a few things which I was able to get locally and the retailer credited me for them (kudos to them). Third, the rear brake lines were a major pain because the stock lines were pressed on to the splitter in the rear so I had to remove the whole assembly (lines and splitter provided in the kit) which meant taking the right footwell off (not a bad job). The biggest pain on the rear brakes was the master cylinder location. The brilliant minds at Polaris never moved it on the Highlifter model so it was left under the plastic below the speedo pod which meant I had to remove a TON of crap up front to get to it (as seen in pic).

Forgot to include a bucket pic with the new tires on (stock 29.5's shown) but the new tires give me 8 inches of clearance from the top of a 5 gallon bucket to bottom of frame- INCREDIBLE!!!

Got to finally take it for a test run yesterday and everything works great- rode a new area with some buddies and they said some of the holes I got through without help hadn't been made unassisted by anyone since the floods we had @ 4 years ago.

Keep in mind if you ever plan on going this route the lift gives you a 30% gear reduction so top speed will take a hit. On my machine it came with a 25% gear reduction in the tranny so my top speed now is maybe 45 mph- she's turning @ 5900 rpm at 40 in high range. Not a big deal for me since I'd rather putz around from hole to hole.

Attached Thumbnails Portal Gear Lift-wsix.jpg   Portal Gear Lift-w3.jpg   Portal Gear Lift-w1.jpg   Portal Gear Lift-w2.jpg   Portal Gear Lift-w5.jpg  

Portal Gear Lift-w4.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Portal Gear Lift