Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris sportsman 700 idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris sportsman 700 idle issue

After adjusting the idle mixture screw to keep it running on a cool morning ride, I apparently went too far and it vibrated out. I didn't lose it, but finding it impossible to put back in. There are 2 places it could possibly go and both touch the throttle cable somehow because I can feel it as I crack it open a bit when putting the screw in. However it will not bit and stay in when the spring is still on. So anyone have this issue? I searched but didn't find anything, or didn't search for it correctly. This should be so simple and feel like an idiot for not being able to put this back.

Screw threads look good, but won't bite. Or was there a sleeve that may have fallen out too? didn't see on in the carb diagrams but who knows with polaris

anything to help would be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hold the throttle open to keep the cable shaft stop away from the hole and you should be able to thread it back into the hole enough to grab the threads. If you can't you may have to pull the carb out and turn up side down/sideways enough to where you can see how to thread it back in. Bummer if the threads are stripped,but shouldn't be.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. There are 2 places it seems it could fit, and it screws into both of them when the spring is off, so maybe I'm not compressing it enough? or using the wrong one.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kevin Vernon
Thanks for the reply. There are 2 places it seems it could fit, and it screws into both of them when the spring is off, so maybe I'm not compressing it enough? or using the wrong one.
I read the thread.....you mentioned idle mixture screw, not idle speed control thumbscrew. If it's the idle mixture screw, there are four componants, screw, spring, "O" ring, and washer. To be sure, which screw are we talking about?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good point - this is the thumb screw which also has a spring but is definitely a thumb screw

Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Good point - this is the thumb screw which also has a spring but is definitely a thumb screw
Ok, then follow OPT's recommendations. I doubt it's stripped, but you may have to at least loosen the boot clamps enough to turn the carb to see what you are doing. And remember, on those cold mornings, if you want to speed the idle up a bit, you screw the thumbscrew in....not out....LOL

Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

was unable to get the screw back in at all. still have spring and spacer, but won't stay in when spring is attached. I open the throttle, cram it in there far enough to compress the spring and bite the threads, let go of the throttle and it shoots out like a rocket. Did a redneck fix on it and put a shim inside the box with the thumb lever

Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

was unable to get the screw back in at all. still have spring and spacer, but won't stay in when spring is attached. I open the throttle, cram it in there far enough to compress the spring and bite the threads, let go of the throttle and it shoots out like a rocket. Did a redneck fix on it and put a shim inside the box with the thumb lever
Be careful on messing around inside of the throttle control housing especially with the etc switch that's there to cut rpms in case the throttle cable is ever grabbed by a tree limb,etc. Worst case if the adjuster threads are stripped,try a cheap knock off 47 buck carb on ebay or a good used oem Mikuni for your model.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POLARIS-...xVQQXo&vxp=mtr http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-POLARIS...FXDpoo&vxp=mtr

Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Those 2 holes both hit the throttle cable somehow but neither one will hold the screw in with the spring on it. I will look into getting a new carb, but the shim I put in is very simple and just simply goes between the throttle cable holder and the stop post. Just temporary so it at least runs without having to hold the throttle now. it is also non conductive and won't interfere with the other 2 leads.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Far left hole is just a drain or a good place to spray penetrant to keep the cable and cable shaft wheel from corrosion. Looks like it's been into before as the idle fuel screw block off plug has been removed also. Usually not necessary on these models. I'd spring for the carb to be on the safe side.. One other thing on these models that caused problems was the Ducati ignitions.Can cause crappy running conditions that mimicked carb problems such as running rough and rich,smelling raw fuel,backfiring,etc and a lot of people tore into carbs thinking that was the problem area. I'd pop the front panel and see if it has the Ducati combo cdi/coil pack. If it does you might consider changing out the ignition to the #2202602 Kokusan update kit that's still offered.They can go out and leave you stranded at any time.Here's a good video on what's involved in this.

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris sportsman 700 idle issue