Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stalling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Issues

Hey all! I am new here. I bought a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 ho around Christmas time and have had none stop issues since getting it. I had the carb cleaned a few months ago but have noticed gas leaking from the bottom still and the occasional stall. Last week it refused to start at all. The speedometer was blinking and the gas level on the screen was flashing. A lot of gas was coming out of the carb.
I took it to a new place and he rebuilt the carb, replaced the battery as it was not the right size and replaced the gas. Seemed to run fine when I picked it up this morning. I got it home and it is still stalling and had a hard time starting a few times.
It doesn't always stall, and it seems to do it when idling or coming to a complete stop. There isn't any gas draining from the carb now and itruns great once it is started and in motion. It's when you let off the gas and let it idle that it stalls.
Do I need to adjust the choke or the thumb throttle?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Simplest thing that people overlook other than the idle screw adjuster on the bottom of the carb is the throttle slack. Too much slack and it will die when you let off the throttle because the electronic throttle control contacts in the throttle housing can touch. Down from the throttle cable is a rubber sleeve covering the adjuster. Loosen the lock nut,turn the adjuster in or out until you have no more than 1/8" slack at the thumb throttle. When this is adjusted correctly and it still wont idle,then you turn the carb idle adjuster to raise or lower the idle. Pic is worth a thousands words so here's a good video on this also.
Carbs on these models are the worst on leaking and adjusting the float level is critical. Here's a good read on this carb with pics that show how to adjust it properly. Used on a Ktm,but similar to the one you have. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

Old 05-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I will give both of those a try tomorrow. I had some trouble even getting it to start up tonight. So it's a combination issue of starting a little rough and needing gas to start, and the stalling. Worst case, I can take it back to the guy who rebuilt the carb on Tuesday and have him adjust it. He did say it may be needed.