Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my atv wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my atv wont start

so its about that time of the year where my atv takes a big fat turd on me, okay so yesterday morning she started right up and i took her and did my chores on my farm and then after i went to my host dads house which he lives down the road about 2/10 of a mile, parked it visited a bit with him and then when i go to leave she had a hell of a time starting but she did but i could just tell there was something not right, oh well i ran home and she died on me as i was pulling into my driveway and she would not start anymore after that, i initially thought it was my starter due to lack of battery so i went ahead and put it on the charger for about 5-6 hours came back and tried to start her up and no dice, some things i have checked or done are put a brand new oem spark plug in,check for spark , and check to make sure she has gas. it goes back to the old 3 check list, gas compression and spark, i know for a fact she has 2 of the 3 but i wont know about compression until tomorrow since thats when i plan on taking her apart.
What do u guys think it could be.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You're on the right track. Check compression to rule it out if you've already checked that it has spark and fuel supply. If compression is over 100 psi then head for the carb. Even if you have stabilizer in the fuel,but still don't crank it up now and then to circulate the fuel, fuel in carb bowls can evaporate through the atmospheric vent and pilot jets can still stop up with a chalky white residue.Found that out the hard way myself. On two strokes it can be the opposite also if fuel valves are left on and fuel can bypass the carb straight into the crank case. Can cause hard starting,some will foul plugs and on others crank seals can be damaged sitting in fuel for extended intervals.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

no i wouldnt think that mine is what you are saying about the fuel in the crank or what not, i say this because i have a small leak coming from the carb and i always shut off my fuel whenever i not riding. i will be sure to let you know what i find tomorrow. it almost feels like an electric problem to tell you the truth i mean it has spark but it feels likeit isnt enough if you know what i mean do u know if the cdi boxes go weak.
thanks
Ruben

Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try starting fluid...the type with upper cylinder protection...if it runs on that and dies then you've got a fuel delivery issue (carb/reeds). If it doesn't fire on the SF then it's electrical or compression...generally.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

okay and thanks i will post what i find tomorrow although it will probably not be until the evening. hey OPT and really anyone who can answer this but do the cdi boxes go weak or not.
THANKS AGAIN
RUBEN

Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They can short out or the kill circuit black wires can short or the ignition switch or left control switch can cause problems with the cdi. You can pull the black cdi kill wire and isolate the cdi and see how it does. Also if you haven't disconnected the black wire from the reverse limiter,disconnect it as it can retard spark even in forward range.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like the battery. ..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by trailman04
Sounds like the battery. ..
In a lot of machines that rely on the battery for ignition (dci systems) a bad or weak battery can cause starting problems,but on these old magnetically triggered ignition systems on the earlier model Polaris atvs you can crank one even with a battery disconnected with the recoil starter.Not a good idea as bulbs would pop from the charge from the regulator that has to go somewhere,but if ignitions were in good shape at least you wouldn't get stranded because of a bad battery.Later models,yes a bad or weak battery and you're stuck.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

yeah opt i have no black wires connected to the the atv as of right now and still nothing, i will continue my search and let you know what i find. and yeah no battery wouldnt keep it from starting at all. i have had a weak or even no battery on it before and she would start right up through the recoil.
THANK YOU
RUBEN

Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDI's can fail in a number of ways, as can other elements of the charging system including your stator...if it doesn't run on SF and you know compression is good, then and OHMs meter and manual will be next...

Quick Reply: my atv wont start