Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 polaris sportsman 600 twin cuts out after riding please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 polaris sportsman 600 twin cuts out after riding please help!

So I bought a 03 sportsman twin 600 2 days ago. Took it out riding yesterday and was riding fine for about 30 min or so then it shut off. Turned right back on and rode another 5 min before it did it again. It did it a few times as I headed back home. Today I was riding it and it did the same thing but didn't start doing it til after about an hour of riding. When it shuts off it bogs first the shuts off. Now when it shuts off the gauges shut off as if the key is off bit the fan stays on so I know it's not a battery issue. Today it would take a couple minutes after shutting off for it to restart. But it won't restart until the gauges and light come back on. And they come back on by themselves. I tapped everywhere on the quad thinking maybe somethings loose but nothing worked. I would just have to sit there and wait for the gauges to come back on to fire it back up. It also backfired a couple times before the shutdowns. Very dangerous going up hills sometimes when this happens. Today was alot more than yesterday. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be? I really like the quad and want to get it running like it should so I can go farther out in the woods without getting stuck. Please help thank you

Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The faulty Ducati ignition. Kits are available for the 600 and 700 machine. Yours takes the #2202603. Cost over 500 bucks,but includes the flywheel,stator,cdi,coil,regulator,wiring jumpers and instructions. Don't waste your time trouble shooting this system as parts are NLA on the statorPlus don't fall for the RM kits out there that use the Ducati stator lighting coils as these can fail also. Just get the kit designed for it. Here's a good video on a 700 which has the same kit,one number off from yours.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

That would cause the backfiring and gauge cluster to go out? And there's no cheaper way around that?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Backfiring,dying,hard starting were some of the symptoms along with display problems,and charging. Some owners have even killed their machines and couldn't get them started back up again. Yes the RM kit is cheaper,BUT again I stress that they use the Ducati stator lighting coil for the ignition source and I've had these lighting coils go out also. Then you'd be stuck in finding another Ducati stator or just go ahead and get the right kit that does away with all the Ducati parts. It's a cheap fix that may or may not last! The choice is yours.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I will look into that. Thank you I appreciate the help!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm back. Quick question...my cdi box on my 03 sportsman 600 says Kokusan on it. Does that mean the ignition system has been changed? I just don't want to shell out all this money for nothing nor do I want the quad to sit or have the dealership take money I don't have to replace everything. Is there any other options it could be?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Well then looks like the system has already been changed out or you have a later year mfg date with it all ready updated. On this best to go through the trouble shooting guides and resistance specs for this ignition. Rarely had problems with them,but anything can happen with electronics. The 2004 model had already updated and you can use their tests. Not that much difference between the 2003 and 2004 600 except the electronics. Good cheap manual for 5 bucks. 2004 Polaris Sportsman 600 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I think I've narrowed it down to the headlight switch or wiring. Seems to only happen when the headlights are on. When I first turned the quad on it shut off within 10 minutes with the headlights on. Turned the switch off so no headlights were on and it ran for about 45 min at idle before I turned thr headlights on and put it in drive then it made it about 20 feet then shut off. Fan still running but no power to the cluster or lights. Power came back on within a minute or so then drove it but it sputtered and didn't have barely any power then somehow the power kicked in and it took off like new. I'm thinking the no power issue could be a fuel issue but could be wrong. So only thing I'm thinking to do this weekend is clean the carb and follow the headlight wires and see if something is pinched or touching. Any other suggestions for me to look at or check would be greatly appeciated.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Easy to check if the fuel pump is working ok. Just pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel.Plus check the tank and carb vent for any obstructions or kinks. Yes the headlight pod area and the harness under it are bad places for intermittent shorts because of all the twisting and turning and stress on the wiring. The high beam connector itself is a problem because of the way the wiring has to snake up to it. I've found plenty of shorts there and also at the dc auxilliary plug wiring. Hope you find the problem.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I will check that also tomorrow and hopefully I can find the culprits. I will report back tomorrow...thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2003 polaris sportsman 600 twin cuts out after riding please help!