Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rebuiling rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuiling rear caliper

so ive read up and ppl have used o rings instead of the squared off "o" rings...my ? is, when i go to put the piston back in, should i have to almost press it in, or should it be able to slide in by hand??

ive got plenty of o rings and they look to be exact size but i cant just puush the piston back in, is it ok to press it a bit?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

put the pistons in the frezzer for a bit maybe ?

Old 07-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Use the correct squared off o-rings not round ones or any that look "close" to what the oem looks like. No need to freeze the piston. Just use brake fluid on the o-rings when you install them in the caliper body,slime up the piston with brake fluid and slowly push the piston in.Don't go all the way flush with the piston,let the brake pads do this when you install them in the caliper body.You need room at the back of the piston so fluid can easily push the piston out. Once installed and bled,adjust the set screw until you feel a slight drag on the rotor. Then back off 1/8 turn.This helps aligns the caliper square with the rotor. Jump up to Dot 4 if you haven't already.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

...set screw?...i couldnt find any diagrams on the caliper

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry,didn't see the "rear" part... Set screw is on the front calipers only. Item#2.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Same assembly instructions for the rear though. Use the correct o-rings.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

seals came in, this is what i ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/252240173879?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i open the pack and the smallest o rings are correct, the smallest square o rings look correct, BUT the largest square rings are smaller than what i pulled out, are they suppose to be when new? i wouldnt think??

i think im just going to put the ones i pulled out back in, the problem was 1 of the smaller squares was in 2 peices, the large ones look new..what say you?

Old 08-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were my ride I'd get new seals...loosing your brakes blows...also, I don't use brake fluid to wet the seals...I use a very light coat of grease...keeps the parts in contact with the aluminum pliable for much longer...IMHO...

Old 08-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

i havent had good brakes since ive owned it lol i just know where im going and give the brakes i had time to stop...im slapping it back together and gonna see how it does..worst case i gotta fork out a bit more $ for better seals...get what you pay for i guess..

Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might be dealing with the larger seals swelling. Here's a nos oem kit for 25 bucks if you decide to go that way.New Pure Polaris Rear Brake Caliper Seal Kit O Ring 2201385 Magnum Scrambler | eBay Everywhere else this kit is about 50 bucks.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

thats a lot of swelling if so...the larger wouldnt even sit in its seat...i will let ya know what happens after i get the air out

i pinched both rear lines near the caliper so i wouldnt get too much air in but when i hooked the lines back up i have no pressure at all and no leaks as of yet..so the air in the cali is a lot?..both brakes hand and foot were solid as a rock when i had them pinched...ive pumped and pumped(not bled) just to see if i got any pressure back but no...guess im gonna have to find the mightyvac?

Quick Reply: rebuiling rear caliper