Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The ol' polaris 500 cam/carb issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPT is correct...2.5 turns out from lightly seated is the "general" starting point for A/F mixture screws...since these impact idle and you can't verify condition, that's probably causing you grief...

Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO after the weekend. Good news, bad news.

Good: It is indeed the carb causing issues as it ran perfectly (Other than not idling) for well over 70 miles this weekend in some pretty rugged terrain. Couple high water crossings, lots of mud and plenty of hills. The choke was out pretty much the whole time, and on the plus side, since it idles high that way, it was like cruise control for trail riding. Kept me at a perfect slow and steady pace with a free hand for the coffee cup.

Bad: It still has a carb issue. But my carb rebuild kit came in today so I will tear into that this week. But I discovered another problem this weekend. It started overheating about halfway through the weekend. Couldn't figure out why. I started noticing my fan wasn't kicking on, so I thought with the high water crossings it shorted out my fan with some shoddy wiring connection somewhere. However, the issue progressed and I started to notice my starter was not cranking like it used to. Figured out the battery was dying and it wasn't getting charged. Pull start got me through the rest of the weekend and had to take it super easy or go really fast so as to not overheat. Home and I checked the volts and indeed when running it didn't move from 12.6. Found the regulator (thanks to this forum) and found it had come disconnected with all the jostling. Hooked it up and now it charges however it is over charging allowing voltages like 16-17. Is this likely a bad regulator? Battery seems to be in good shape as it holds a charge.

Also when rebuilding the carb, if the mixture screw completely strips out, can I use a left hand bit on it? I seem to remember I have a pretty tiny one. Or otherwise drill it out?

Also heres a photo of the weekends riding area. Love Alaska.

Attached Thumbnails The ol' polaris 500 cam/carb issue.-img_8768.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Regulator wiring connectors were bad on the Sportsman 500 on pulling out,but 16-17 volts is too much.. You might run it a little while and see if voltage happens to drop down to the normal 14-14.5 volts that it should be,but if it doesn't order a new regulator. Be careful in messing with the fuel screw. If you have a small enough eze out or left hand drill you can probably get the screw out. Just don't go too deep and damage the small hole. Kit comes with the new screw,spring,washer and o-ring. Make sure to get the old ones out with a small pick and set the screw at 2.5 turns out from a lightly seated position and see how it does. Pretty riding area..

Old 09-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Regulator wiring connectors were bad on the Sportsman 500 on pulling out,but 16-17 volts is too much.. You might run it a little while and see if voltage happens to drop down to the normal 14-14.5 volts that it should be,but if it doesn't order a new regulator. Be careful in messing with the fuel screw. If you have a small enough eze out or left hand drill you can probably get the screw out. Just don't go too deep and damage the small hole. Kit comes with the new screw,spring,washer and o-ring. Make sure to get the old ones out with a small pick and set the screw at 2.5 turns out from a lightly seated position and see how it does. Pretty riding area..
To close this out, got a chance to install my carb rebuild kit. Ended up having to drill out the air mixture screw. It came right out with that, but the spring was completely corroded and the tip was not in good shape. Put all the new parts in and just like that, it fired right away and purred at idle. I also checked the charging and somehow (even though I ordered a new regulator) this one seems to be holding it at 14.4 now. Think I'll just put the new regulator on when it comes just to be safe. Other than that, ol red is back up and running with all the normal ticks and whirring it always had before.

As always, advice from this forum is always the best. Thank you again!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Enjoy your trip..

Old 09-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you get it fixed? I am currently having a problem with my Scrambler 500 2001 model it idles fine but does not rev up. if I put my hand over the intake area on the air box it will let me rev It Up. it was running fine and just started doing this.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by chriskennedy
Did you get it fixed? I am currently having a problem with my Scrambler 500 2001 model it idles fine but does not rev up. if I put my hand over the intake area on the air box it will let me rev It Up. it was running fine and just started doing this.
No need to post twice in the same section on the same problem.. Just confuses people jumping from post to post.