Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman 500 ECM ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 500 ECM ?

No display . will not start with the rope . 12.47 volts at the battery . Turn the key does nothing and also does not drop voltage . after searching the ECM on here i read where one symptom was the fan coming on quite often . This is something I have noticed in recent months . This machine is always inside , bought new and has about 1400 miles on it . Longest trip it takes is a 1/4 mile and sometimes the fan would come on slightly after that . Several years ago I believe the ECM was replaced . It is the silver sure power part number 4011803 and says made in china .
The last few times i used this the first turn of the key did nothing . turn it off and then try again and it started . Tonight cows got out , of course near the highway . machine started just just as mentioned and went down the road . Turned it off and now nothing at all . pulled it to the shop .
Got fence to fix !! Any suggestions ? Thank you for taking the time to read this book

Old 09-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you had the ecm replaced under the original recall looks like you need another one.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov Not uncommon for these to go out as I replaced multiple ecms on the same machines. Your part number doesn't match the updated part number. Might be a good idea to check a local dealer to see if it was actually replaced and whether you can have another one installed free of charge. And yes fans running constantly was another symptom of a faulty ecm along with the no start problems you've been having.. Here's the one you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-PO...BXjmky&vxp=mtr

Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thank polaris tech -
I called them today . they ran the vin and mine was replaced in 08' with the one that is there now . Shop man said the same as you have . Looks like I will be buying an ECM

Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Strange though.. Second time I've seen this part # show up on the ecm module that people have used,but it's not listed anywhere in Polaris Parts Catalog are other online places.At least with the #2203348 module you have the latest one.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The ECM was the 2nd dumbest idea after Polaris incorporated the AWD system through the speedo in 1998.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only took em 4 yrs from 2004-2008 to realize the problems on the ecm. Back to the future as they went back to a regulator on the 500 in 2009. Only the Trail Boss 330 still had the ecm to deal with. There are still too many things that go through the speedos and even worse since efi has become the norm.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default recall service sticker placement

I may still have a chance ! Called Polaris and they ran the vin and said the same thing you did . The ECM I have is not the one that should have been used on the recall . They ask if I had a service sticker showing the recall had been completed .
She did not know where it would have been placed , but told me how to see what it looked like . I googled the recall number and it shows a poor photo of what I think is under the seat but can't tell for sure . Anyone know where that sticker would be ?

Old 09-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some of us dealers placed a white sticker on the air box.I did that plus kept my own note book of machines I replaced the ecms on. Hope you're able to get it at no cost..

Old 09-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

well i went to a dealer to ask about the procedure for bringing it in as Polaris said to do . I didn't get very far . They looked up the vin and said "it has been done " . Didn't seem to want to hear what the customer service lady at Polaris had to say . He also told me that he has not had an ECM issue that would not light the display . I will call Polaris back next week .
In the meantime I would like to test the key switch and any other thing I can eliminate . I have unplugged the switch and checked the voltage to the end of the harness . The only terminals that have voltage is the two orange wires going into one . Not sure if that means anything or not . Is their a way to test continuity on the switch while it is unplugged ? Thank you

Old 09-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Two orange wires go straight to the ecm module.Looks like the orange transitions to an orange/black main power wire for the fan. The red/black wires lead to the emergency on/off kill switch. Work this slide switch back and forth and see if you get power to the dash with the key on,plus check the two connectors leading into this control switch. Brass plates in this switch can corrode and also cut power from the ignition switch and then to the dash.You can also spray electrical cleaner in the cracks and crevices of the switch and see if this helps.Not uncommon to have to replace this switch as you can't tear it apart without having parts flying everywhere. Here's the manual with the wiring schematic than can help you trace the wires.2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download Still not crazy about that part number on the ecm.Forgot that on some models the connectors that snap in to the left control switch can back out a little from vibration and lose contact with the pins,plus pins can become dirty over time and lose contact. Clean these up good and make sure the connectors are tight against the switch body.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 09-10-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: left control switch connectors.. Orange to orange/black fan wire