Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking for trails and camping w/in 200 miles of Lex, KY

Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for trails and camping w/in 200 miles of Lex, KY

I'm trying to put together a 3 night (Mon-Thurs) little get away and need some help finding a good location. Here's what I'm looking for...

1) 2 days worth of easy mostly non-technical ATV trail riding (w/ passenger) with good look outs.
2) Nearby camping with facilities that's not too crowded.
3) Rental cabins close to the trail head.

The first ATV park I know of is Black Mountain in Evarts KY. Lots of trails but I suspect they may lean more toward the technical side. Not sure about the cabin or camping situations in the area.

The second is Ride Royal Blue just off I75 in Pioneer, TN. Good easy trails and cabins, but the camping situations I'm not too sure about.

So...can anybody tell me about more locations w/in say 200 miles of Lex, KY that might be toward what I'm looking for?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Land Between the Lakes is slightly further than 200 miles, its 227 miles from Lexington to Cadiz, Ky(the town closest to the park) but I think it would be worth it. Great scenic trails that vary from easy to technical. The main loop which is about 12 miles can be done with a stock 4x4 pickup or jeep. Its basically just a dirt road. They have cabins there but they're not on the trail head unfortunately. You can do primitive camping right on the trail though, thats what we did. They have horse trails there and the cabins are close to those along with shower and laundry facilities, probably 2-3 miles from the trails. And they wouldn't let you ride from there to the trail head either unless they changed that. A bummer I know. If only they were a little more relaxed like towns out west on the Pauite trail that let you ride on city streets to the trails.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:03 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah the sooner they learn how to be 4x friendly the faster they'll develop their tourism. LBL sounds like a great area. I'll def keep it in mind.

After some research, Wilderness Trail Off Road Park close to Pineville, KY paired with the nearby Pine Mtn. State Park looks like a pretty good deal. Only 119 miles away, no trail fees (saving ~$140), decent log cabins at the park for $90/night vs. $140 other places, saving $100. People there say they have easy trails leading up to great views, called 'top of the world.' And with zip lines and hiking in the park I don't see how you could go wrong. Maybe they'll be a space we can set up a tent outside the cabin.

Anybody with experience with this area?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Somebody mentioned they thought Wilderness Trail Off Road Park was closed. Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't confirm myself but here's some info on it with contact info so you can call and find out for sure Wilderness Trail Offroad Park - Kentucky Motorcycle and ATV Trails

Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of the reviews from earlier this year at the bottom does make it seem like the park might be closed though. That's a bummer, it looked like a great place to ride. Its too bad when things like that happen. But better to find out before you plan to go for sure.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Man that'll be a bummer if it really is closed. Thanks for the link I'll have to check on it.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should have been posted in "Where to Ride" so more people would see it. Maybe next time. Where to Ride - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community