Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reverse limiter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse limiter question

I got my 95 sportsman 400 all done and rode it quite a bit this weekend. Everything ran out good. One thing I did when I bought this machine was disconnect the reverse limiter. I noticed it would die as soon as I put it in reverse so I eliminated that issue by pulling the black wire. The only thing I notice now is, the AWD light does not light up in reverse unless I push the button on the limiter override. Does unhook ingredients the wire just eliminate the engine limiter or should it also override the AWD also? The four wheel drive works great, just want to make sure I don't have to unhook another wire.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pulling the black wire just bypasses the limiter but you still have to push the button for awd engagement. Fairly sure you could wire it up to where you wouldn't even have to do that. Purple and gray/white are the two main wires I believe. Just haven't paid that much attention to the wiring schematic.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

I wasn't sure if the black wire disabled the whole thing or just the engine limiter. I will just use the button to activate the AWD instead of trying to jump wires. Someone did that on my xplorer so the light stays on all the time wether it is in high, low, neutral or reverse so someone must have wired it already.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look on the terminal board. They probably ran the awd switch power wire direct to the red/white terminals so it would be powered up all the times with the key on. People have done that to bypass the high dollar gear box switch that would fail or wouldn't engage because of shift box wear.