Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please advise OPT need alternative parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise OPT need alternative parts

Polaris gurus assistance please!

Hello Atv comunity. I am a newbie, not just to this sight, but to the Atv world. I just purchased my first quad last weekend. 05 magnum 330 awd. Great looking quad hasn't been beat on too much. Its lived a farm life. I bought this non running for I think a good price knowing I had to monkey with it and add a few $ to it. I always try to fix my cars with the internets help I usually figure things out. So I wasn't to scared of this. I researched the discribe problems prior to purchase. My conclusion was it needs the thermister, (been removed) and probably an ecm if that doesn't do the trick. Turn the key on and it just flashes hot. It starts well and Idless well, but cuts out and dies when throttling up. I see the boot from the carb to air tank is not on very well. So from what I read about these I am assuming/crossing my fingers that this may be the issue. I am curios though, I was told this had a lower end rebuild (not that I can truly trust that, no paperwork to prove) it does have a clanking sound as if metal were being slapped or somthing is this normal or a bad sighn? I am thinking it may be the pull rope.
Ok guys so here is my real question. My thermister part# 1010934 is discontinued, I have searched on line all week and at this point am frustrated and brain dead. Is there any other thermisters that would/ could work. I don't feel like dropping a hundred bucks on a maybe from my dealer who won't return electrical. Final thoughts I am both extremely excited over this quad and extremely discontented with Polaris at the same time. I grew up looking at the Honda 3 wheeless and in the past few years polaris has made a name for itself. I am bothered that an 05 would be impossible to get parts for considering how many different units use the same part. Dealer said after 7 to 10 yeas they quit making them. Well my 2 cents thinks it's criminal if they have sold out of parts they obviously need them because they had issues. When I purchased this I never considered a 12 year old machine to be obselete and didn't forsee the issue. Polaris as well as all the atv makers need to realize. They have a whole line of customers those who can afford new, and those who can only afford projects like me. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I am very surprised I don't hear much uproar about it. Well I got kinda long winded, thanks for reading if you are still. Lol And an even bigger thank you to those who reply. Have a safe ride.

Attached Thumbnails Please advise OPT need alternative parts-received_10211538269996326.jpeg  
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the carb boot issue fixed first and see how it does. If it still has issues not carb or fuel related then could be an ecm issue. Shame that the 330 wasn't on the recall list as it should have been. Ecm controls the charging back to the battery,battery protection circuits,accessory power,temperature controller,all the circuit breakers along with controlling the FAN OPERATION which in my opinion isn't needed. The fan doesn't even cut on until the oil temp reaches 260 degrees and cuts off at 240 degrees. The hot light comes on at 290 degrees. Rarely ever have people had their fans kick on unless super hot! If the hot light is coming on when the machine is cold,could be an ecm fault(the internal temperature controller section of the ecm) that receives the signal from the thermister and sends it to the hot light. May not be the thermister that's faulty. Again my two cents is to get the engine running right carb wise. If it still has running or charging problems then it may need the updated ecm module.
Polaris 2005 2006 Trail Boss Magnum 330 Brain ECM Sure Power PDM 2203349 New OEM

One other thing is the lower end noise you're speaking of. This crank was hard to rebuild,has a car type rod and most people ended up replacing the complete crank shaft rather than having the crank journal ground and over size rod caps installed. Worst case scenario I'd disconnect the hot light. Too many oil cooled machines out there that don't even have fans. I still don't know why Polaris installed a fan on the oil cooled 325/330 or the air cooled 300 that didn't need them..
If you don't have the service manual here's one for 5 bucks.2005 Polaris Magnum 330 Service Manual PDF Download