Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Explorer 4x4 - want 4WD all the time...Thanks...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Explorer 4x4 - want 4WD all the time...Thanks...

If someone out there knows how to change the wiring on my
1995 Polaris 400 Explorer so it’s always in 4WD it would be
greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When you push the awd button it's always on. On means that's its "armed" so to speak,has power to the strut coils and the front wheel swill kick in when the rear wheels slip and kick back out when the rear wheels regain traction. This is an electro/mechanical awd system and takes both electrical current and mechanical action for the hubs to lock in. This is a better system the way it's set up than a full time locked 4 wheel drive which is a bear to steer.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you're having problems with the switch not working, I don't think you would want to change it to full-time 4x4. I only use 4x4 when I have to. Its much easier to steer in 2wd. Having it in 4x4 all the time would wear out your 4x4 components much faster too. Its not meant to be used all the time.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all for responding so quickly........

I only use the ATV for snow plowing my driveway in the winter. I was running it today and when I push the AWD button on the handle bar in it does not light up all the time. When it does I believe it’s in 4WD but if it goes out/off I’m sure it back to 2WD. This is why I want it on all the time.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

These older model had the gear position switch in the shift box. If this on/off problem with the awd light happens when you're in high range push a tad forward on the shift lever and see if it lights up. If so you may have some worn parts in the shift box not allowing positive contact on the internal switch. If the awd lights up ok in low range,this is usually what happens. High range is used more often and gets more slack. Parts for these old shifters are becoming nla. #15 is the switch. 1995 Polaris XPLORER (W959140) Gear Selector Xplorer 4X4 | Cycle Parts Warehouse Some have bypassed this switch,haven't tried it myself,but worst case scenario if it gets worse you can try this,but take it with a grain of salt. "Cut the wires at the shifter box. The red/w is power. The gry/w runs to the AWD switch. Cut and connect them together. Your bypassing the shifter switch this way." By doing this you should be able to push the awd button and have a constant light and power to the front wheels so when the back wheels slip the front wheels will kick in. When the rear wheels are able to regain traction,the front wheels will kick out as it's supposed to do..Again I'm just the messenger,haven't done it myself...

Old 10-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the info......I'll have a look at this weekend......

Old 10-06-2016, 09:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You can not have full time 4wd because it has no limited slip front end that allows it to go into 3x4 like other ATVs.
Its 2wd or AWD with no in between ,it would be like riding with diff lock on all the time.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
These older model had the gear position switch in the shift box. If this on/off problem with the awd light happens when you're in high range push a tad forward on the shift lever and see if it lights up. If so you may have some worn parts in the shift box not allowing positive contact on the internal switch. If the awd lights up ok in low range,this is usually what happens. High range is used more often and gets more slack. Parts for these old shifters are becoming nla. #15 is the switch. 1995 Polaris XPLORER (W959140) Gear Selector Xplorer 4X4 | Cycle Parts Warehouse Some have bypassed this switch,haven't tried it myself,but worst case scenario if it gets worse you can try this,but take it with a grain of salt. "Cut the wires at the shifter box. The red/w is power. The gry/w runs to the AWD switch. Cut and connect them together. Your bypassing the shifter switch this way." By doing this you should be able to push the awd button and have a constant light and power to the front wheels so when the back wheels slip the front wheels will kick in. When the rear wheels are able to regain traction,the front wheels will kick out as it's supposed to do..Again I'm just the messenger,haven't done it myself...

Good Morning Expert:

I had the time yesterday to cut the wiring and bypass the shifter. Well, as you previously mentioned
the problem was the shifter and probably still is. It has been getting harder and harder to change from forward to reverse and now as of yesterday I have no reverse. You were right the shifter is a problem.

Any Ideas?

Weekend Warrior, THx.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The main parts that wear out are NLA as I mentioned, the shifter itself and also the high and reverse shifter slide. While parts are still available I'd replace items #10,12 (qty of 2),13,14,17 and item28. Plus check that the belcrank(aluminum shifter) on the gear case is tight and not moving around. If the linkage ball ends are worn(19,22) I'd replace those also.The bowl fills to the top of the slides with 30 wt,0w40,5w30,etc and go through the linkage adjustment procedure again. 1995 Polaris XPLORER (W959140) Gear Selector Xplorer 4X4 | Cycle Parts Warehouse Used shifter assemblies are on ebay but expensive and may be in worse shape than yours.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

16 10 19

Well I guess it comes down to money……I’ll try to get a cheap shifter but Thanks for all of your help…….it still runs in forward………toby_nord…….Weekend Warrior…..

Quick Reply: 95 Explorer 4x4 - want 4WD all the time...Thanks...