Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch install mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch install mistake

I am installing a winch on a 2012 500 HO. I had to modify the mount to get it in because the negative terminal on the winch would not fit as it hit the bar on the front of the bike. I ground down the terminal after I attached the negative prewiring. Here is the problem, I realised after I did it that the negative prewire was suppose to go to the negative post on the winch solenoid. so mine goes from the negative post on the winch, to the negative terminal on the battery. Is this OK? I do not want to take the nut off for fear that i screwed up the threads on the post and won't be able to get back on.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Kinda brain dead right now,but don't thin it will work right. Has to switch through the commutator to the winch. I guess this is the one you have or similar.

Attached Thumbnails Winch install mistake-warn-winch-wiring-diagram-l-cfa86dbf2901463d.jpg  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by thepred212121
I am installing a winch on a 2012 500 HO. I had to modify the mount to get it in because the negative terminal on the winch would not fit as it hit the bar on the front of the bike. I ground down the terminal after I attached the negative prewiring. Here is the problem, I realised after I did it that the negative prewire was suppose to go to the negative post on the winch solenoid. so mine goes from the negative post on the winch, to the negative terminal on the battery. Is this OK? I do not want to take the nut off for fear that i screwed up the threads on the post and won't be able to get back on.

No it will not work. The winch will only spin in one direction not both.

The contactor is a super high amperage polarity reversing DC switch.

It either passes the power straight through to spin the motor forward or reverses the polarity to spin the motor in the opposite direction.

I cut the wires and crimped ring lugs onto the ends of the wires sized to run to the contactor.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so next problem is I can probably get nut off but getting it back on will be the issue. Anyone have an idea if the nut will not go back on the post because I screwed them with the grinder?

Old 10-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nut may straighten out the threads as you remove it,enough so that you can get it back on.If not you may have to use the correct die and reform the threads which would involve removing the winch. Worst case is an insulated alligator clamp that I've seen some redneckers use that were too lazy to do it right..

Old 10-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Try the nut "Verry carefully" in my famous Elmer Fudd voice. If you have to monkey rig it, it will probably fail when you really need it.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya if I can't get it on thinking my only other option is take it in and spot weld it on.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Was able to get everything together, but winch does not run. The positive line in of the circuit breaker gets hot and breaker just clicks. I have cooper side going to battery. What would cause this?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Breaker getting hot and clicking is just telling you that either you have something wired up wrong or something's not making a good connection,ground problem,etc. Look at your instructions on the winch.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Winch install mistake