Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04' Pred 500 Help?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' Pred 500 Help?

I have an 04' with only 60 original hrs on it Ive had a valve lash adjustment done and the only other thing is my carb was rebuilt by a certified KTM mechanic. As for mods the only things Ive done are re-jetted the carb, K&N panel filter in stock air box with lid and 5 Uni vents in the rear of the box, pure polaris/white brothers pipe................My ? is it sits more than its used and when I go to start it let it idle for awhile or maybe even ride it a little and when I go to put it away and it sits again for awhile the next time I wanna play with it Im finding lots of oil in my airbox like a quarter of a quart? What is causing this? Any help would be greatly appreiciated

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Always check oil level after warming up the atv or you can show a false reading when cold. If it's too full you can get oil spray from the oil tank vent tube into the box. Here's a section from the manual.https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13....html?page=108 Plus I guess Polaris anticipated a little oil accumulation because of the two air box drain plugs. Item#15 on the parts break down.2004 Polaris A04GJ50AA PREDATOR (A04GJ50AA/AB/AC/AD) Air Intake | Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Always check oil level after warming up the atv or you can show a false reading when cold. If it's too full you can get oil spray from the oil tank vent tube into the box. Here's a section from the manual.https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13....html?page=108 Plus I guess Polaris anticipated a little oil accumulation because of the two air box drain plugs. Item#15 on the parts break down.2004 Polaris A04GJ50AA PREDATOR (A04GJ50AA/AB/AC/AD) Air Intake | Cycle Parts Warehouse
I agree with that statement However I did change the oil and filter earlier this year as Ive done in the past and always drain completely and then add what my service manual says. But your response actually brings up another ? a few days ago I checked it cold before starting and it showed just slightly low then I started the bike let it warm up for at least 5 minutes shut the bike off re-checked my oil level and the oil level was almost to the top of the opening of the oil reservoir/container is that normal? and or what would be the cause of that? To much oil again maybe? or something else?...................TIA

Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When you warm up the machine and kill it give it a couple minutes before you check oil level to get an accurate reading. Plus here's another part on the manual that could possibly be of interest also.
MAINTENANCE AND LUBRICATION
Engine Oil Level
If the ATV is used year-round, check the oil level frequently. A rising oil level could
indicate the accumulation of contaminates such as water or excess fuel in the bottom of the
oil tank. Water in the bottom of the tank can lead to engine damage and must be drained.
Water accumulation increases as outside temperature decreases.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

When you warm up the machine and kill it give it a couple minutes before you check oil level to get an accurate reading. Plus here's another part on the manual that could possibly be of interest also.
MAINTENANCE AND LUBRICATION
Engine Oil Level
If the ATV is used year-round, check the oil level frequently. A rising oil level could
indicate the accumulation of contaminates such as water or excess fuel in the bottom of the
oil tank. Water in the bottom of the tank can lead to engine damage and must be drained.
Water accumulation increases as outside temperature decreases.
When I warm up the machine and let it idle for about 5 minutes I shut the machine off and let it sit for a few minutes and I then check the oil level and its like I said earlier Its at almost the top of the oil tank opening still? However If I let it sit again for a few days or so without warming it up first I Re-check the oil level and its just below the Hash marks in otherwords telling me to add just a little? So Im stumped?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You are draining the sump? Here's the complete pdf on oil change.http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/lub/...oil-change.pdf Plus this old post from 2004 might help.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...il-change.html

Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

You are draining the sump? Here's the complete pdf on oil change.http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/lub/...oil-change.pdf Plus this old post from 2004 might help.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...il-change.html

First off I would like to thank you Old Polaris Tech for all the info and your personal help in trying to figure out the problem!! Funny thing is...is I was going through my service manual which is an OEM Polaris service manual for my 04' pred the other day and I came across the section about priming the pump I have not done that yet but I think I may try that. I will say that like it says in the manual you should not have to prime the pump unless the hoses were disconnected at some point? Which my hoses have never been! But I don't think it would hurt to try and prime it anyway just for the hell of it to see if it actually does change everything? Your Thoughts?

Thanks again

Old 10-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes prime the pump as the manual states and see how it does then. Might possibly be what's happening.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yes prime the pump as the manual states and see how it does then. Might possibly be what's happening.

I'm confused as to what line exactly I'm supposed to pinch off? The manual states to pinch off the the line coming from the oil tank approx 2'' up going then to the air box? What I don't understand is the oil tank/reservoir has 2 lines below the filler neck both going into the case which I'm assuming 1 is an intake and the other 1 is an outtake? Then there is a line on the top side of the oil tank/reservoir that goes to the oil pump I'm assuming? Then there is another line that comes from the top of the oil pump/housing and goes directly to my airbox?.........................Which line is it that I'm suppose to be pinching off to prime the oil pump?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The top line or vent tube on the oil tank. What you're trying to do is stop air from coming into the tank which forces oil faster to the pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04' Pred 500 Help?