Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 polaris magnum 330 cranking

Old 10-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 polaris magnum 330 cranking

Hello friends i have this 03 pol magy 330 its extremly hard to start with the starter , when i warm it up it seems to start much better.. if i pull ut by the pull cable it almost starts immediately? Even during a cold start. What causes this? Suggestions???

Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word signed .. Torn Rotator Cuff Guy

Old 10-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Battery in good shape? 325/330 engines were cold blooded to begin with,but if the choke is working ok but still hard to electric start,could be the pick up coil is getting weak or too far away from the strip on the the flywheel. Pick coil white wire to white/red should be around 97 ohms resistance. Distance on the pick up coil gap should be between .016 -.030 clearance according to the manual. May be similar to what happened to this poster on a Sportsman 500. no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank

Thankyou sir , i will def tty this t/m morning, thanks!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Just to clarify comd blooded

Just to clarify 330 cold blooded, it obviously shouldnt take over 30seconds or 2 minutes to even show signs of wanting to fire id presume , compression is at 75psi. Fyi. By what ivsee on the service manuel that decent

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes that's good compression considering the decompression device on the cam. I'd still check the pick up coil resistance and also distance from the flywheel. If that doesn't help then since you have the manual go through the electrical trouble shooting guides and check steps.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Coil

Iv replaced the coil pack, i thought that might have helped it didnt. Same result. The choke is working fantastic . And the battery is brand new 225 CC amp. Durracell check the strip on the flywheel is what your saying?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the distance with a feeler gauge between the face of the pick up coil and the raised portion on the flywheel which is the interrupter strip. If the distance is too far you'd have a weak spark sometimes using the electric start,but can pull start it because you can make it spin over faster which can allow a better spark. Read over this guys findings again..no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community