Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical issue

Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 500 HO EFI electrical issue

Hello,
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI X2

I started having issues with my fan not running 2 yrs ago, tech put a manual switch in for me.
Told me that PDM's and ECU's were a common cause.
Then I started having a battery maintenance light come on, replaced the battery first, no fix.
I have now replaced the ECU (had that flashed at a dealer), as well as the PDM (first with a used one, and now a brand new one)
The dealer told me it could be the PDM or a wiring harness, I chose the less costly of the 2 and went with a brand new PDM.
Where else should I look??
If it is the wiring harness how much of a job is it to change, I have been quoted at about $1200.00 to do the job...
I have also read that it could be the instrument cluster..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I now have $700.00 into this and its still not right.

Last edited by SGBrann; 10-21-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Didnt Like the title
Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Before I invested in a 500 buck wiring harness why not trouble shoot yourself with the 5 buck manual..2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Service Manual PDF Download The so called mechanic should have never toggled a fan if he knew what he was doing. If you don't want to do the wiring trouble shooting and just want to take another chance,the harness is around 500 bucks at Partzilla and if you work from the back to the front on swapping out the wiring(using the old one as a guide) may take you a couple/three hrs or so counting pulling the plastic. Sounds like that the dealer didn't want to mess with it.