Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ETC throttle question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETC throttle question

I was working on my 2007 sportsman 500 efi this week and I moved the throttle cable around so it doesn't rub on any wires and now I notice the machine dies once you let off the throttle. It runs fine if you put light pressure on the throttle so I assume it's the ETC. Since it's fuel injected, I think the idle is preset so is setting the throttle slack similar to the older models? It has quite a bit of slack in the thumb lever, I would say almost 3/4 of an inch, lol. Should I set it to what I do on the carb models or do the fuel injected ones have a different setting?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

In moving the cable around you just caused a lot of slack on the cable and thumb lever. This much slack and the etc contacts will touch and the engine will die,won't be able hold an idle. The tps sensor on the throttle body actually controls idle speed and you just need to take the slack up on the cable for it to be able to work right. Similar to the carb models on adjusting throttle lever slack for the etc switch. The manual calls for 2mm gap between the contact points on the etc switch which usually comes out to be about 1/8" throttle slack on the thumb lever. After adjusting turn the bars back and forth to make sure the cable isn't binding and increases engine idle speed.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Here's a couple good videos on this.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

Set the slack and it idles perfectly now. The adjuster was turned all the way in and the jam nut was loose so I'm sure it was working it's way loose before I helped it along by moving the cable, lol. Couple turns and I tightened the jam nut up and it should be good to go.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-27-2016, 03:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Found that to happen a lot especially when they came out with the plastic lock nuts.