Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sell Me On Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again for all your comments.

I was wondering about belt life with a powerhouse engine. I understand there are various "strengths" of belts, some offering more life. I'll have to learn about that. I assume I can change the Polaris Sportsman belt on the side of a trail if I need to. Yamaha says their belt is easier to change than a Polaris belt. True?

Hey, I found the horsepower / torque curve for the "1000" engine on the Polaris website. I did not notice it before. I wonder if it was a recent addition. Anyway, the curve published shows 66 ft lbs at 5500 rpm, and max horsepower at 8500 rpm with torque falling off some. It ain't no diesel, but the torque curve looks pretty darn flat.

It appears the "power control" would keep the machine safer, less jumpy, and add to the life of the belt and driveline when doing slow speed jobs. It makes sense to me. Will it still work 5 years down the road? Reliability is my concern.

My Kubota compact tractor had no defects in the 550 hours, 10 years that I owned it. My Ford Super Duty has had no defects in the 50,000 miles and three years I've owned it, half of those miles towing my camper. That's the kind of reliability performance I'm looking for.

I wish Polaris would just provide a 1000 hour bumper to bumper warranty for any defects in materials and/or workmanship. They can't cover abuse, but my confidence would be much higher if Polaris was also confident in their Sportsman beyond a six month warranty period. Then if the power control failed, at least I would be covered.

David

Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LT80, that was funny

Old 12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I was thinking of what our next ATV adventure in a few years could be. I remembered the story of a Canadian couple who rode ATV's from Canada to Mexico, through the US. They had the same Polaris Sportsman X2 500's that I had way back when. Good read: Quadtrek.net

Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I was thinking of what our next ATV adventure in a few years could be. I remembered the story of a Canadian couple who rode ATV's from Canada to Mexico, through the US. They had the same Polaris Sportsman X2 500's that I had way back when. Good read: Quadtrek.net
Sounds like a great adventure. I can't imagine making that kind of trip. Most I've ever ridden in one trip was about 150 miles. That was down in Kentucky at Land Between the Lakes many years ago.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Sounds like a great adventure. I can't imagine making that kind of trip. Most I've ever ridden in one trip was about 150 miles. That was down in Kentucky at Land Between the Lakes many years ago.
I think we did about 500-600 miles the last trip to Utah. It's nice being somewhere you can just ride from the door.