Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What actually happens when

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What actually happens when

What actually happens when the reverse goes into limp? How does the switch over ride it? Technically speaking?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

To clarify, I know what it does.... for safety reasons. I want to know how it does it. I know many bypass it. But how does it cause the engine to lose power?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Specifically the older, simple machines.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Went out to study my wiring. Then to the manual. It sends power through a speed limiting module. And if you hold the button down it bypasses the green /purple combination to the limiter to the purple /gray combination, thus a bypass. So what does the speed limiter box do. Does it change the timing, alternate fire, what does it do. I am trying to learn this for another reason. I have a Honda that stays in limp mode. If I can figure what this does then I will try to bypass it's ability to limp. And thanks, but no thanks in trying to figure it out. 10 years of fooling with it and 1000 dollars in parts, no more. Done with that. Dumpster if this attempt does not work

Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gr8bldr
To clarify, I know what it does.... for safety reasons. I want to know how it does it. I know many bypass it. But how does it cause the engine to lose power?
The main purpose the limiter does is to retard ignition timing when in reverse and this in turn cuts down power.To"over ride" this spark retarding you have is to push the over ride button.Doesn't cause any power loss when you pull the black limiter wire to disable it. It will then allow full power in reverse without having to push the reverse over ride button. Limiters all fail sooner or later and Polaris just used them to keep people from being hurt by limiting speed in reverse mode without consciously pushing the button to over ride the limiter. Stupid module that really isn't needed as when they fail they can limit forward speed also or just die when you place the atv in reverse. I've defeated dozens and dozens of these modules over the years.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yamaha had a similar rev limiter when you put the machine in diff-lock. To me that makes no sense because if the situation is so tough to get through that you need diff-lock, you're going to want to use full power without having to push an override button. It also made the speedometer go crazy and look like it was posessed by demon as well, which was kinda creepy. Can-am machines have a limp-mode to protect the engine if it overheats. Its fine if there really is a problem but sometimes electronics will malfunction and it goes into limp mode when there is no problem.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The main purpose the limiter does is to retard ignition timing when in reverse and this in turn cuts down power.To"over ride" this spark retarding you have is to push the over ride button.Doesn't cause any power loss when you pull the black limiter wire to disable it. It will then allow full power in reverse without having to push the reverse over ride button. Limiters all fail sooner or later and Polaris just used them to keep people from being hurt by limiting speed in reverse mode without consciously pushing the button to over ride the limiter. Stupid module that really isn't needed as when they fail they can limit forward speed also or just die when you place the atv in reverse. I've defeated dozens and dozens of these modules over the years.
So it retards the timing. Thank you much. LOL, I know the need for speed reduction in reverse. When Polaris first came out with the 350 I rolled it. It goes seemingly fine but then all the sudden, like a jack knife truck, your in trouble that can not be steered out of.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by greg74
Yamaha had a similar rev limiter when you put the machine in diff-lock. To me that makes no sense because if the situation is so tough to get through that you need diff-lock, you're going to want to use full power without having to push an override button. It also made the speedometer go crazy and look like it was posessed by demon as well, which was kinda creepy. Can-am machines have a limp-mode to protect the engine if it overheats. Its fine if there really is a problem but sometimes electronics will malfunction and it goes into limp mode when there is no problem.
I was wondering if any other machine employed a rev limiter. Limp mode on efis I can under stand even if it's an electronic problem: saving the engine from damage,but a limiter that retards ignition timing for reverse or even forward in the case of the diff lock makes no sense. Just another module to cause problems and fail.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
My real reason was trying to understand limp mode. I figure that limp mode on a honda is likely the same as the speed limiter on the Polaris. I have been trying to understand so I know what to look for in the wiring schematics. It may be housed as one in the ecm. I hope to figure out how to make my honda incapable of limp mode

Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 1gr8bldr
My real reason was trying to understand limp mode. I figure that limp mode on a honda is likely the same as the speed limiter on the Polaris. I have been trying to understand so I know what to look for in the wiring schematics. It may be housed as one in the ecm. I hope to figure out how to make my honda incapable of limp mode
Polaris reverse limiter retards timing through the cdi module. This may be the same on the Honda if they have another module that does this that you can eliminate or bypass.

Quick Reply: What actually happens when