Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snapped exhaust studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped exhaust studs

hey guys so I snapped my exhaust studs when taking the exhaust off, I since then drilled out a slightly bigger hole and retapped some threads in it to fit a 1/4 screw/bolt, I was just curious instead of screwing a stud in the then putting a nut on the end can I just straight up use a bolt?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Trust, But Verify

On my Predator 90 it had bolts.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time that's been done.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to make sure you don't bottom out the bolt in the blind hole. That could lead to some bad cracks or distortions.

Did you use an easy out to get the broken stud removed? I've had some success with that method. Drilling out a broken stud sounds difficult. In the old days, we had a "electro-discharge machine" or ECM that would "spark" away the metal. We used it to remove broken taps. Made the job easier.

David

Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by dbj216
You want to make sure you don't bottom out the bolt in the blind hole. That could lead to some bad cracks or distortions.

Did you use an easy out to get the broken stud removed? I've had some success with that method. Drilling out a broken stud sounds difficult. In the old days, we had a "electro-discharge machine" or ECM that would "spark" away the metal. We used it to remove broken taps. Made the job easier.

David
I did not use a easy out, just drilled out a hole slightly bigger than the stud and re threaded it, I only drilled in probably about 6/16ths or less of a inch, so I never went in far, just far enough that the new bolt i screwed in would be in there snug.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see, thanks. Broken studs, broken bolts can be a real bugger to make right.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

For future reference, it is rather easy to extract a broken bolt without even drilling, as long as it is at least flush with the surface. Take a washer that has a hole just slightly smaller than the bolt itself and you are going to weld thru the hole onto the shaft of the bolt, now take a nut and weld to the washer, after it is not glowing red anymore spray some lubricant on the back side of the washer. The heat will help pull the lube into the threads. After it had cooled use a wrench and back the bolt out.