Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

early 2004 sportsman 500 AWD prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early 2004 sportsman 500 AWD prob

Left front hub not driving. Rt. front works fine. Diagnostics says awd is off even with 3 wheels driving. When I slide awd switch to on, the OFF flickers quickly but the OFF reading still shows. Where do I start? I have drained and refilled both hubs, but...

Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Awd grounding through the speedo and long ground runs from there to the hubs were common problem points. This may affect speedo display also. Try a common ground first on the hub ground wires as the video shows. If that doesn't help,jump the brown/white wire in the speedo connector harness to the brown wire or a good frame ground. This eliminates the awd ground path from going through the speedo itself.This may restore the left wheel drive and correct the display.If grounding doesn't help on the left wheel,could be a mechanical problem.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanx, OPT!

I'm an old polaris rider (in age - 75) but new to the sport. Your suggestion looks easier as a first step than what I was going to do. I pulled the left wheel yesterday and was about to pull the hub to check out the Hilliard, etc. and thought there might be an easier first step. I'll try the ground when I get home from work (still teaching high school after 47 yrs).

I saw a link you recommended on another thread for shop manuals, and I purchased both a 2004 for my wife's quad and a 2005 for mine. That was a great $9.90 well spent for 2 Polaris shop manuals. Thanx.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Manual is the first thing to get if you plan on doing your own work. Also check/change the hub fluid and for any leakage on the hub or back of the strut from damaged hub or strut seals.This is an Electrical/mechanical system and both have to work properly.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, Well, I spliced the brown wires to ground and what do you know? Problem solved! All 4 wheels are now driving! Those wires were sure tiny to work with with my arthritic fingers, but my wife is now happy that her quad fixed and all is well with the universe. Thanx again.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I ought to show you what RA has done to my fingers over the years.. Glad this solved the problem,also has for many people on these 'telephone" sized ground wires on these long runs. Good luck and keep mama happy..