Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought a 2000 Sportsman 335

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2000 Sportsman 335

Thanks for this great resource - I just bought a 2000 Sportsman 335 last night and am planning on using it to play around with and maybe to hunt some. I've got a parts manual but no shop manual yet, so I hope to find one soon.

I look forward to having fun with this thing - it seems to run great, and I doubt I'll be getting any speeding tickets with it... but it should be fun.

Just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16

Old 02-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 335s were way under-powered IMO but other than that seemed to be good quads as far as I know. One guy I ride with has one and the only problems he had that I know of were the clutch wearing out from lack of maintenance and he broke the end off an A-arm when he hit something. Those are problems that any ATV can have.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
The 335s were way under-powered IMO but other than that seemed to be good quads as far as I know. One guy I ride with has one and the only problems he had that I know of were the clutch wearing out from lack of maintenance and he broke the end off an A-arm when he hit something. Those are problems that any ATV can have.
True - I was a little surprised when I opened it up last night and it wasn't any faster than it was... but I don't need a speed demon anyway. Long as it works, I'll be okay playing around with it.

I was having a little trouble getting it in gear last night. Hope it's not a clutch issue and is something simple.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First thing to check is if the idle is too high. Idle adjuster is at the bottom of the carb. If it still grinds going into gear make sure the aluminum belcranks on the gear case are tight and not stripped. Usually shifting problems come from wear in the shift box components,but linkage adjustment may help. Have the shifter in neutral,loosen the lock nuts on the ball ends at the shift box slides.Remove the ball ends from the slide arms and turn the ball ends to where they drop straight back into the slides with no pulling or force on the linkage.Tighten the lock nuts,replace the 10mm nuts on the ball ends. This may help shifting for awhile. A lot of shift box parts are beginning to be nla.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2000 Sportsman 335-index.png  
Old 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First thing to check is if the idle is too high. Idle adjuster is at the bottom of the carb. If it still grinds going into gear make sure the aluminum belcranks on the gear case are tight and not stripped. Usually shifting problems come from wear in the shift box components,but linkage adjustment may help. Have the shifter in neutral,loosen the lock nuts on the ball ends at the shift box slides.Remove the ball ends from the slide arms and turn the ball ends to where they drop straight back into the slides with no pulling or force on the linkage.Tighten the lock nuts,replace the 10mm nuts on the ball ends. This may help shifting for awhile. A lot of shift box parts are beginning to be nla.
That's awesome and a LOT of help. It actually didn't grind last night - I was just having a little trouble getting it into any gear. Once it went in, I could shift pretty well. Thanks for the expertise!

I'm looking forward to playing around with it tonight to see how it does. Too bad I don't have a good place to ride around the house - I'm getting off too late to haul it anywhere to ride. Hope you have a great night, though, and I appreciate the help!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16