Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO fuel gauge repair

Old 03-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO fuel gauge repair

Hello all, I'm new to ATV's and bought a 2008 Sportsman 400 HO from a friend. The fuel gauge is a float type that sits in the tank and shows you the level with a needle pointer rather than something electronic. The float/mechanical assembly has become detached from the gauge itself and is sitting on the bottom of the tank, I have read its possible to pull everything out and reattach the parts together and get some more life out of it. The gauge portion appears to be glued into the tank and not threaded in, you can spin the gauge face but it doesn't come out. Has anyone ever fixed one of these? I was hoping it would thread out and we could fix or replace. Was hoping for a little guidance, I know I should buy a repair manual and will, any suggestions on brand? Thank you for any help.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shows a replacement for it,but not listed in the parts break down as it's part of the tank. If you have the cap loose without breaking it and are able to seal it back down,I guess you could fix it. Saturated floats were a problem also and replacements are available that might work on the 400 also. FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT FLOAT - Polaris ATV - X2, Sportsman 500, 700, 800, Can-Am Renegade - DJSFLOAT Later models you could unscrew and replace.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO fuel gauge repair-08sp400.gif  
Old 03-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply, now it all makes sense that it's part of tank. If I manage the fuel properly it won't be a huge concern, will focus on a few other fixes. Appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never trust a fuel gauge on an ATV anyway. Mine has never been very accurate.