Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Angle Drive Fluid or Demand Drive Fluid 2005 600 twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This can happen on any machine regardless of the make.Sitting for who knows how long takes a toll on seals and other parts.Yes on the front diff on most models you have to pull the radiator back or just remove it to get the front diff out the left side. Sounds like you have a good project to keep you busy.Wouldn't hurt to fill up the diffs,get it running and see how it does before you tear it down.1300 miles on a 12 year old machine tells you it wasn't ridden much. Again hurts them more to sit up than to ride them daily.I encountered a bunch of these type machines I had to fix back up.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
This can happen on any machine regardless of the make.Sitting for who knows how long takes a toll on seals and other parts.Yes on the front diff on most models you have to pull the radiator back or just remove it to get the front diff out the left side. Sounds like you have a good project to keep you busy.Wouldn't hurt to fill up the diffs,get it running and see how it does before you tear it down.1300 miles on a 12 year old machine tells you it wasn't ridden much. Again hurts them more to sit up than to ride them daily.I encountered a bunch of these type machines I had to fix back up.
)

Can the front pinion shaft seal be replaced with the Diff in the machine? Mine has the cover with the 4 bolts. I've read that you can loosen up the diff and slide it forward on some years and replace the pinion seal that way. As far as the back, excessive play where the pinion shaft goes into the rear diff, that would be bearings correct? Any tips or tricks to getting the pin out of the shaft? I gave it some good whacks with a punch and 3 pound sledge last night and it didn't budge. Do you drill them out? Should be a damn bolt in there instead

Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can remove the roll pin best by using an impact chisel with a punch a tad smaller than the pin. It'll impact right out,then you can impact the rear yoke enough rearward on the gear case(transmission) shaft to the get the prop shaft off the front diff. Then you have access to the plate and seal.Same on the roll pin removal on the rear diff prop shaft.Better than busting your knuckles with a hammer and punch. Yes more than likely it's the bearings in the rear diff. Some people have gone to bolts and nuts to replace roll pins. Just make sure you have clearance if you do.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks for the help. I think I'm going to wait and put the gear case back together and make sure everything works before i go that far. I just sprayed down drive axles and roll pins with pb until I get to it

Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok so tomorrow sometime in will be putting the shifter gear case back together with the new parts, I was able to get the front roll.pin out today before work. Is there a way to pull the front drive shaft off the pinion shaft? I read that you can pull the drive shaf back but i dont see how thats possible. so that I can replace that seal before I go through all the hassle of removing the radiator and front axles to pull the front diff out? I'm hoping I can put a new seal in and try that first.

also how difficult is it to rebuild/remove the bearings in the rear diff? Any special tools? That definitely has a ton of play in both axles and pinion shaft. So I will be buying rebuild kit for the rear.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

UPDATE: I got the front driveshaft separated from the pinion, it took some time but I got it. My pinion shaft has the grooves from the seal, is there anyway to fix this from leaking with a new seal other than replacing the pinion?? Damn why is the pinion so expensive??

Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All you can do is try new seals. You can either replace the seal kit from Polaris or look at the universal seal number and find an equivalent seal. Same for the pinion bearing if needed. Universal number on it and you can usually find them local.Polaris ATV Parts 2005 A05MH59AK SPORTSMAN 600 FRONT HOUSING Diagram Ring gear is a hardened machined part and Polaris like many manufacturers can set their own prices.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone have a part number for napa seals that will fit front and rear pinion shaft? I'd like to try seals first before I order complete rebuild kits. 05 sp 600 Polaris part # 3233956 (front) and # 3234003 or 3234113 (rear) starting to look like all the wear components need to be replaced. One minute i want to cut my losses and dump it as is or part out and another is saying fix it all but then I'd be way over budget.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Use the universal size or number on the outer seal to find replacements. Many you can find at local auto stores.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I just left the 3rd parts store. Napa autozone and Advance auto none of them could cross reference the part numbers or cross reference by size.