Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Angle Drive Fluid or Demand Drive Fluid 2005 600 twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angle Drive Fluid or Demand Drive Fluid 2005 600 twin

Need to clear up some confusion. Some say angle some say demand. It's a 2005 sportsman 600 twin and I want to change front and rear Differential fluids.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Both. Demand Drive fluid for the front diff,Angle Drive fluid(or 80/90 GL5) for the rear diff. Main gear case AGL.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks. Well I just did the front and went to drain the rear and nothing. Opened up filler bolt and it looks like thick grease in there, I just bought this machine and it looks like it's going to be way more than I thought to get up and running. Also I jacked up rear end and there is alot of back and forth and up and down play where the rear axles go into rear diff. Turning out to be a terrible deal it's almost like someone used a grease gun and filled the rear diff with grease.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably just old burnt fluid or what's left of it. Full that sucker to the brim with kerosene or naptha and spin the rear wheels back and forth several times and drain. Manual says around 5 ounces fluid. If it's been run long with low fluid,the bearings(#5) may be the first to go.Could be the play you're talking about. Hopefully the ring and pinion gear are still ok.

Attached Thumbnails Angle Drive Fluid or Demand Drive Fluid 2005 600 twin-7e7ffaf2dde91f8cc27b63af3cfbf4e208c951eb.png  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Would diesel work instead of kerosene? I can't get kerosene anywhere close around me I use diesel in my torpedo heater for that reason. I'm assuming the rear diff needs to be removed in order to change the bearings?

Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Diesel would be the third choice if you can't get kerosene or natha.Anything to help remove the sludge build up.If the po did indeed fill the rear diff with grease,may as well tear it down and check out the bearings. Always replace the seals if you do.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

, I've never remove the differential how hard is it? I know I can do it I'm just wondering if I will be running into any issues also thank you for the help

Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fairly straight forward,but several parts to be removed. Bolts hold the dif at the bottom,drive shafts,swing arms, swing arm mount brackets have to be removed.Prop shaft roll pin has to be remove at the pinion shaft and the diff slides out to the rear.If you need a manual here's a cheap one that can help. 2005 Polaris Sportsman 600 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome thanks again I'm sure I'll be back on here LOL

Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well just an update, I just got home from work and filled the rear diff with diesel and rotated the back tires for a bit. Let it sit for an hour. Only to come back out to no diesel left in the rear!! It all leaked put the left driveshaft and also out of the pinion shaft seal. There is a ton of sloppy play both up/down and in/out at the pinion shaft and the lock pin isn't even in there.
then I checked the front Differential and all the angle deive fluid I put in before work had leaked out the seal for the front pinion shaft.
Now I'm all for working on machines since that's what I do as a hobby but I've never had to rebuild or remove differentials(luckily). I wish I had known how far gone this thing was, it only has 1300 miles, I can't believe how bad it is. I've had machines with 5000 miles and didn't have these problems.
it didn't help that I bought it in a snow storm and the battery was dead, jumped it so I knew it ran. Ran like garbage but it ran. I drained the gas and cleaned the carb and it runs and idles. It was stuck in low gear and the shifter moved freely so I ordered the gears that were bad for the gear case which will be here Saturday. I'm debating on waiting until I get those parts put in so I can at least drive it around the yard to make sure 4x4 and everything else works before I remove the diffs. What do you think?
Also do i need to remove the radiator in order to get the front Differential out?? Sorry for the long *** post, I should probably be starting a new thread with all of this