Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 stopped along with the reverse and neutral light.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 stopped along with the reverse and neutral light.

I just got the 2000 Polaris 400 back from the dealer. I went ahead and had the transmission rebuilt. I rode for 2 days, pressure washed it, and put it away. The next morning I came out to ride and it wouldn't start. I showed no neutral light, or no reverse light. So, I pull started it. Once started the lights still didn't work, and my 4x4 wouldn't activate. Where should I begin? Old Polaris Tech, this seems like a job for you.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start at the circuit breaker by the battery.If it has power on each side then head to the left control switch. Pressure washing and electrical components and wiring don't go together very well. Best to have an air nozzle and blow out the left switch,remove the wiring connectors even under the front panel and clean and lube them with electrical grease.Circuit breaker and left control switch provid power from the battery to the starter,lights,fan,etc. You can recoil start these older machines as they didn't need the battery for ignition.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

Is the circuit breaker an actually pop out type circuit breaker? I did pressure wash the battery. I wonder if that popped it out? I will look shortly.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

In a sealed pouch tucked under the rear fender usually. Just check with a meter that it has voltage on each side of the pouch red wires.Easily replaced. Just slice the pouch open and get a 20 amp breaker at any auto supply for a few bucks. Here's a new one compared to corroded ones.he breakers are meant to trip and turn back on in case of problems,but like all electrical items they can get weak with age and also moisture.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 stopped along with the reverse and neutral light.-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

I should of mentioned that my speedometer has never worked. I will check the circuit breaker that you mentioned in the morning. I called the dealer and they said the transmission position switch had a broken tab. They said they ziptied it. Maybe it came loose? I assume that would cause what I am experiencing. I am in the market for a speedometer if anyone has one. They seem to be priced out of this world from Polaris.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Depending on the problem you're having,yes the plastic gear indicator tabs(#53,54) can break,but won't cut power to the display,electric start,etc.Wouldn't hurt to check the wiring from the gear position switches up.As far as the speedo,the hall effect sensor on the right strut was a common problem on no speed or mileage shown.#40.Polaris ATV Parts 2000 A00CG38CA XPLORER 400 GEARCASE Diagram Polaris ATV Parts 2000 A00CG38CA XPLORER 400 HANDLEBAR and HEADLIGHT POD Diagram If speedo is dead,others have repaired them.http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2013/10/r...n-polaris.html
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3232409 Or you can contact places that can repair them.http://www.prospeedo.com/index.php/p...cluster-repair

Search this Thread