Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Converting thumb throttle?!

Old 12-14-1999, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinkink of converting my thumb throttle to a twist throttle.Has anyone else done it, is it a good idea? Thank you, Jorge M.

Old 12-15-1999, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

I have always felt that a twist grip was better than a thumb throttle but I never did try the switch over. I have since installed heated grips so I doubt I will try it now. If it is a choice between heated grips or twist grip throttle its goodbye twist grip throttle. One of the problems with the installing a twist grip is that throttle sensor thing-a-ma-jig. From what I understand it must be operating for the quad to run. It senses for a stuck throttle and stops the engine. If you go ahead with the conversion I would appreciate it if you would post it here for us all to see. Good luck.
Dave Formstone
98 SP500 EBS

Old 12-15-1999, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

I was looking for a twist grip for my 99 sprtmn 500. The dealer told me that they don't make 'em. If you find one, could you let me know? Thanks, Foster

Old 12-23-1999, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

all the polaris aftermarket people sell twist grips. i have one on my 400 xplorer and on my wifes 250 trailblazer. each quad takes a different twist grip cable so make sure who you order from knows for sure what year and model polaris quad you have.

------------------
clem in PA

Old 12-23-1999, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

Hot Seat Performance sells twist throttles for all Polaris quads, prices range from $49-$56. call 'em at 651-982-0600, or www.hotseatperformance.com

SportKod
99 Polaris Sport
00 Yamaha Kodiak

Old 12-24-1999, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

I co-own an off-road motorcycle and ATV accessory store. Last week someone walked in asking if they make left handed thumb throttles. I asked why? He said that he wanted to have two throttles on his ATV so he could steer into sharper turns. I suggested getting a twist grip throttle, but he wasn't interested. I
just think that this is a funny, but interesting idea.

Old 12-24-1999, 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Make sure it is a high quality twist throttle. I got some water in mine and know I can barely turn the thing..

RoostKing...

Old 12-24-1999, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

If you ride fast on rough trails, a twist throttle is not going to do well.

To maintain throttle at a steady ratewith a twist throttle, you have to have your wrist in a certain position, and you have to ride just that way. Whoopdeedoos and similar rough terrain make that more difficult than a thumber.

The thumb throttle allows much more flexibility.

If you flat track, or ride on open flat ares, the twist is fine.

Watch for this if you go to a twist:

You hit a jump and are a little off balance. You tighten your grip on the bars to secure yourself, but, oops! You have twisted the throttle. You are now pushed to the back of the machine, the machine has hit the ground under full power, and you NEED to hold on tight. Things can get mighty squirrely if you cannot grab your bars anyway, anytime you need them. (yes, this is from experience, not from guesswork)

------------------
Rich Weinssen 1999 Scrambler 500 2000 Scrambler 500 2000 Trail Boss 1998 Magnum 425

Old 12-27-1999, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

azrob, I am also thinking about trying to rig up a left hand throttle...I use my sp500 to sray weeds. My right shoulder gets to crying after about 2 hrs. I would be a nice break to switch to the other side. foster

Old 12-27-1999, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

azrob,

There was a question about this a couple of months ago. A guy was in an accident and lost his right thumb. He had been usin his palm to work the throttle but was looking for something different.

Foster,

Have you looked into a throttle extension? They make the lever longer which reduces the pressure needed to operate the throttle. It may help.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting thumb throttle?!