Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Injection on 2 Strokes?

Old 01-26-2000, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a used '99 Sport 400L (first polaris and I love it), back in November. Since then, I have researched modifications and the mechanics of this great machine. As this is my first experience with a 2 stroke motor, I have a few concerns about the oil injection system. 1) I have yet to see a significant drop in oil level. Some drop, yes, but nothing like I expected. What is the rate of oil use for this machine? 2)I have obtained a Polaris shop manual. The oil injection pump adjustment seems very confusing. Maybe it just looks that way. Any tricks that may not be in the manual? 3)I've noticed that many of the riders' machines that I read about have removed the oil injection system. Why is this? Personal preference? Weight? Not trusting the system to work properly?
---------------------------------------------
I appreciate the advice and knowledge.

Ride Safe!!!

Old 01-26-2000, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

I own a 99 Sport, I too was amazed at what little oil the bike used. It seems like I can go thru about 5-8 tanks of gas for one tank of oil. I always keep it topped of though. People remove the oiling system for all the reasons you listed.

Old 01-26-2000, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know if the 2000 trail blazers use this little oil?-How many tanks can you go through without having to refil oil-What are some good oils to use on this machine?

Old 01-26-2000, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

wait, you guys said that some peopelm remove the oiling system, doesn't that jsut make it so you have to mix the oil with the gas manually, instead of jsut adding strait gas, and letting the system mix the oil for you?

this also means you can lean otu your oil mixture right? Or is there some way of doing it with the oiling system

Chhris

[This message has been edited by clindst (edited 01-26-2000).]

Old 01-26-2000, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 95 Sport 400L w/oil injection and it almost seems in five years I've spilled more oil filling it, than it has actually used. By contrast, my 680 cc triple sled, needs oil every 2 tanks of gas. Because I was used to the ATV, I thought the sled was set way too rich, but both run ok and are within the the normal range according to my dealer. However, whenever I fill up, the sled takes about 12 gal of gas, versus, less than 5 for the atv, so that accounts for some of the variance.

Old 01-27-2000, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

It is amazing how little these machines seem to use. I think it may be, because the resevoir bottle is rather large and maybe we are pouring more in than we think that we are. Just a guess. I agonized over this for over 3000 miles before I figured it was okay. I was always afraid that I would seize the engine.

The only time that you can really see these two strokes smoke is before the pipe gets hot. Once the pipe gets up to temperature the smoke disappears and the performance comes on like gangbusters. Bye bye Sportsman 500s

------------------
Sportsman 400 " I love the smell of two stroke in the morning."

Old 01-27-2000, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

I too have noticed how frugal Polaris machines are when it comes to two stroke oil, but you have to remember that the oil tank is 2 quarts in size and the pump mixes it at 40:1.

I removed my pump and started pre mixing right after I put on my 38mm TMX. Because the oil pump IS in an awkward place and is darn hard to get at to, it makes it near impossible to adjust right after a carb change. My oil mixture was too rich and my Sport would foul plugs at low speed like crazy. Premixing it wasn't that hard for my old dirt bikes and it is just as easy for my Sport.

The Trailblazer is, in fact, even easier on two stroke oil than the Sport is. I fill mine up after every ride, but could probably go the entire summer on one tank of oil.

------------------
Mike Chero

[This message has been edited by Mike Chero (edited 01-27-2000).]

Old 01-27-2000, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback folks.

It sure eases my concerns about not getting enough oil to the engine when everyone else uses very little oil.

I see Mike's point about pre-mixing. I would not have a problem doing that myself. I do not have any mods on the machine (yet) so I won't be removing the system.

Since Mike brought it up, the pump can be adjusted for different mixing ratios-right? It may be a pain to get the adjustment just right as he mentioned. Seems like a good area for improvement or an aftermarket product for those of us that do not want to remove the system.

Thanks to all for the info. Later.

Old 01-27-2000, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

The oil seems to last a long time, 5 tanks or more, i have had my Xplorer 250 for 5 months and only used 2 quarts on oil in it.

Old 01-27-2000, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

My TB uses little oil..i top it off every once in awhile

I had a little 100cc Kawaski. I put 500 on it...used about a half a quart of oil!

------------------
Aaron

1997 TrailBlazer: RCR Lowend kit, Red Plastic, ITP Aluminum Wheels, and Holeshots all around

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Injection on 2 Strokes?