Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

clunking noise on scrambler 500...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 01:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello i'v only had my scram for a few eeks now but i noticed a strange noise. Whenever i gun it and get going pretty fast then let go of the throttle i can hear a noise that is sort of a clunk and a click at the same time, I can only hear it when i slow down and its only for a few seconds but then it goes away, but then whenever i slow down again, i can hear it again. At first i thought it was somewthing up front, like a CV joint but after listening closer it sounds like its right underneath the floorboads. I also set the rear end up on a jack and spun the rear tires and let off the gas but i couldn't hear it, its only when i'm riding. Any1 know what it could be?

Also it seems like when i go over good sized bumps the front suspension doesn't "soak" it up like most people say, it makes a clunking noise like its bottoming out but i know that it isn't. And when i ride in this field by my house, i can't get too fast cause i get thrown around and the handle bars can get yanked out of my hand. Is there something i need to do to tyhe struts to make them soak up the hits better? Or should i get something like a Steering dampner? Any help is appreciated. Thx

Old 01-31-2000, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Clunking sound ? I hope nothing is wrong.

As far as a steering dampener there are adjustable and non-adjustable steering dampeners available from HPD and Aaen. I have the Aaen adjustable dampener and i love it.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500

Old 01-31-2000, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

the chain might be hiting the rear skid plate.

Old 01-31-2000, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your clunking noise sounds familiar, i was out ice riding my SCR500 when every now and then I would hear a clunking- clicking noise, i must have jumped off 3 or 4 times tring to locate the culprit to no avail.
I looked at the CV's, shocks, mounts, or just anything that looked loose or out of the ordinary..... nothing.
After some more hard riding and high rev'ving my little clunkity click was accompanied by a quiet KNOCK, after tearing it halfway down I found a faulty lower rod bearing, hopefully your machine doesn't take you down the same path. If I find anything loose down inside I will let you know. Until next time, ride safe and listen carefully!

Old 01-31-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Start the machine up and start moving the PVT housing around a little bit... You should be able to put some pressure on it upwards, downwards, etc.. and it NOT hit the primary clutch.... (knock sound)
Another thing to check would be the secondary clutch buttons. They are easy to replace and cheap... When my son sheared them off the Scrambler, you shoulda heard the noises coming out of that thing... sounded like it was fixing to grenade on me.... $4.00 later it was fixed...

Old 01-31-2000, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

I had a sound like you are describing. It turned out the I had bent my left front brake rotor and as it turned it would cause the caliper to move back and forth making a clink sound. It didn't do it at low speeds and didn't notice at high speeds.

Old 01-31-2000, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

This may sound funny, but, do you have a gas guage (where the gas cap is)? I have one (accessory) on my 325, and when I stop or even slow down, I can hear a clicking noise, it's the float. The gas rushing from the back of the tank to the front of the tank makes a few noises against the gauge mechanism. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

99Scram500, not sure about the clunking, but might know about the suspension thing. There is a plastic like bushing on the top of the front struts on Polaris quads. If this is not there, not only will it clunk riding on anything but asphalt, but almost any bump you hit it will try to grab the handlebars. Basically it will make your steering very sloppy. Is yours like this?

Old 01-31-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have a feeling that you have a Scrambler that has been ridden fairly hard. I have seen just about all of the symptoms that you describe. On your front struts check on the top of them for signs of leaking oil, it sounds like you may have a strut that is leaking down or "blown". The knocking sound I would guess is from the belt returning to the top of the pulley when you decelerate and slapping the outside cover this is sometimes a sign of a worn belt, other times the PVT case may be slightly out of alignment. I will send you a personal E-mail of something to try to see if that is the case. I will send that tommorow( Feb.1st) I showed this trick to Chickenman while he was here and it might work for you. Or at least tell you where the sound is coming from.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 02-01-2000, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

Get an aftermarket pipe that solved my problems

On the serious side though , when I installed my chaintensioner man things got a lot quieter cause that chain didn't fly around anymore.

Sportsman 500 97
97 Scrambler 500,K&N,AAEN PIpe,HotseatSTRUts,ITP XCT's, Douglas Red,SHockwears,Filter wEAR,Dayco BELt,HPD adj. steering damp,RK-X CHain,HpD Chain tensioner.
Soon to be mods: clutch,carb,dynojet kit,wiseco piston,no air box,new rear shock.

Quick Reply: clunking noise on scrambler 500...