Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rectifier/Regulator??

Old 12-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectifier/Regulator??

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help and some answers from people that undoubtedly know more about 4 wheelers than I do. The other day I went out to start my 2001 Polaris Xplorer 400 4X4. It hadn't been started for a month or so. The battery was dead and I had to pull start it. I rode for about 5 minutes than shut it off. The next day I took the battery to get it tested and it was bad. I bought a brand new Diehard from Sears and charged it up overnight and installed it the next day. Started very quickly and I rode it long enough to plow my driveway. The next day I went out and it wouldn't start again. The green neutral light comes on as does the tail/brake light, but when I push up the button to start it it just goes click... and doesn't turn over. I called Polaris and they said $50 to diagnose the problem then parts and labor to fix it. I asked what possible problems might be and he immediately said the voltage regulator. I asked him how much that was and he said "Well it might not be that we'd have to look at it. It might also be a loose wire." I looked through a parts manual that I bought for my wheeler and I think the regulator is also called a rectifier?? I tried looking up a price on the net to get an idea but didn't really find what I was looking for. I replaced the fan already and I believe the rectifier is the little black box attached to the grill. If it is I could easily install it myself. What I needed to know was 1.) Is the voltage regulator and the rectifier the same thing? 2.) Is the little black box attached to the fan the rectifier/regulator? 3.) Is there a way to test it to see if that's it? I don't have the cash right now to take it to Polaris (just bought a house and paid out $6000 for closing and prepays) but I have to have my wheeler because that is what I plow with. Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

Old 12-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'd sugegst calling or e-mailing Ricky Stator.
www.rickysyator.com He's the pro when it coms to stuff like this!

Old 12-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

The rectifier/regulator is the black box in front of your radiator.
Read the post Oh no, my first problem!
If you have a voltmeter, you can troubleshoot the electrical system yourself. It is actually quite easy. There is also an excellent troubleshooting guide for motorcycle type electrical charging systems at ElectrexUSA's website.

Good Luck.
SurferSam

Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK first get you a multi meter and set it for 20v dc and check your battry.It should have 12+ volts.If so unhook your cables and clean all the wire ends. Now start it up and put the meter on the battry and it should show 13 - 14 volts.If not then change the regulator.hope this helps .BTW it would be a good investment to get a manual for this thing.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the help and the quick replies. I will try out the info you gave me tomorrow. If it works I'll post back and let you know. Thanx again.