Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)

I read in some article that the Rawhides that come on the 03 sportsmans are a run flat tire. I have not heard this before and whant to know before I put slime in them. Anyone know for sure?

Old 12-31-2002, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I know, they are not run flat. From a buddies past experience, they were severely unballanced at high speed after he filled his with slime. You may need to rebalance.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I just found out where i got that info from it was the front page of ATVCONNECTION it is in the Sportsman 600 article. They refer to the tires as Goodyear Rawhide Run Flat tires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Goodyear does make the Rawhide Grip in a run flat version but I doubt that is what comes standard on their machines. They are much more expensive and they would have it listed in all their advertising.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Actually it says it on the Polaris site, all Sportsmans come with RawHide Run-Flat tires.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Could you kindly post a link to that, as I have never seen the "run flat" part

Old 01-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

I read that atvconnection article as well, and said "Wow! I didn't realize I had run-flat tires!" I went out to the garage, and looked at the sidewall of my rawhides, and it has no markings saying anything about the tire being run-flat. I remember that when I bought my Mudrunners for my SP500, I could get it in a run-flat or regular version. I'm sure that the run-flat version of the tire would have a label on the sidewall.
I highly doubt Polaris would sink the extra money into a run-flat tire, and if they did, I bet they'd be advertising it like crazy in their catalogs. I don't remember exactly what the price difference was, but it was too much for me to justify on my mudrunners. So I would assume it would have added about $25 per tire. I just about memorized that catalog before I bought the new ride, and I don't remember anything being said about run-flat tires.
I assume that Polaris ships an atv to atvconnection and all the other magazines for testing. Maybe they slipped a pair of run-flats on the atv so that no testers would get a flat and have a bad day on the ride.

Maybe tonight I'll bring home my compressor, and just deflate the tires to find out for sure.

I used Slime in my original stock tires off my 00 SP500, and wasn't happy with how it performed after about 6 months. I won't be using it again. If I go on a long ride, I throw my Craftsman air compressor in the toolbox just in case.

Arcosanti

Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

You have to be careful with slime, only use a reputable brand. There was a recall a couple years age for 1 brand that consistantly caused severs unbalance in cars leading to accidents. I find that using 6 ply tires has greatly reduced the number of flats I get on the trail. (1 in 3 years).

Old 01-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arcosanti, what didnt you like about the slime?

Old 01-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Guess what i just checked the site again and it doesn't say Run-Flat anymore. Must have been an error on Polaris's part.

Quick Reply: RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)