Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator 500 vs z400

Old 04-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator 500 vs z400

i want to know which of these quads have better handling, exceleration, and which one is the best. thanks in advance for your posts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

---------------------
250x
supertrap exhaust
uni air filter
durablue axle
realtor tires
aftermarket race fenders

Old 04-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Predator and a friend of mine let me ride his KFX 400. When I ride other peoples quads, I treat it as though it was my very own quad just off of the showroom floor. My point is, I didn't ride it all out like I do my own quad. But I can tell you this, the KFX has a very plush ride compared to my Pred, but his always bottoms out whem we are jumping and he has the springs on the shocks set as stiff as he can get them. The KFX is pretty snappy on the throttle from the word go, my Pred needs to rev up on RPM's a little more to get the same snappyness. Handling wise. I feel way more comfortable on my Pred as far as contolling the machine in the turns, jumping, etc. Many people say that the KFX is easier to contoll while jumping but like I said, I feel more comfortable and confident as I know I won't bottom out and lose controll of my machine. The Predator definately has more power than the KFX, as well as it should having 100 more cc's. However it is all in how much power you need. The KFX has plenty of snap as well. I like both machines however the Pred wins me over with it's superior suspension and it also comes with a heavy duty rear axle and steel braided brake lines. Also has a remote reivoir for the rear shock. Everything I have stated in this post is about two STOCK machines, which they are. I feel for the money, your best bet is the Predator, you get so much machine for the price. Get the KFX for less money, but to upgrade it with better shocks, braided steel brake lines, heavy duty axle, pipe and exhaust to keeep up with Pred and you will have spent way more than if you just went ahead and bought the Pred in the first place.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't have said it better 03predator. Save some dough, and be faster anyway!! Now lets all say the motto together..."if you're not the predator, then you're the prey"!

Old 04-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

If Polaris would have put a reverse gear on the Predator, they would sell a lot more. I am not a big fan of Polaris but I would have waited for the Predator if it would have had reverse. The looks are starting to grow on me a little bit. But I still don't like the seat. I am 6' 260 lbs and feel more comfortable on the Z. (I feel a lot better on the DS, but that don't have reverse either).

My only complaint with the Z is the chain adjustment. I will be buying a new swingarm within the next year to remedy that problem.

I can't comment on handling or power on the Predator from personal experience, so I won't comment on that.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

03PolarisPredator-It's nice to see that you actually put a little analysis into your decision, and gave the pros and cons to each bike. Most people give their biased opinion and just state what is good about their bike and say the other bike sucks. I agree that the Predator has more power and acceleration, but I think I give the handling to the Z. They are both great quads, and I would have bought a Pred if I had known about them sooner.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The Z's a nice bike, just need a better (stronger) frame. The reverse might seem like an issue, until you ride the Predator. The tight turning radius really seems to work. I too really thought I was gonna miss reverse, but now that I have some seat time, it doesn't matter. I watched the Z hold it's own against some Raptors last fall at Silver Lake dunes. Both bikes were relatively stock. Go ride them both, also check the braided brake lines, chromoly axle. That right there is quite a few bucks worth of aftermarket gear, yet on the Predator it's stock.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hands down the Predator beats it in every aspect. Best buy for the money. Not just opinion fact[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

What do you want to do with the quad? Race, trail ride, hill climb?

I think the Z does all of these well and will not wear you out like the Pred will. Seating position is much better as well as many other ergonimics such as the shifter, the Z is lighter and I have had zero issues with mine.
I spent $350 on works tripple rates and put the hotcams in. Now it is faster than a piped predator, with reverse and I spent about $100 more.

With the exhaust, sprocket, cams and airlid off I beat Preds by more than a couple lengths with exhaust and drilled lids. I weigh 215 so that's not the issue.
From this point both quads can be made even faster. 470 kit Z's are making 60 HP at the wheel. If I wanted that kind of power I would need to spend $325 on the kit, $500 on a carb and $125 for a sleeve install. Less than a grand for all of that. That power should be enough for us average Joe's

Old 04-04-2003, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BarelyLegal
What do you want to do with the quad? Race, trail ride, hill climb?

I think the Z does all of these well and will not wear you out like the Pred will. Seating position is much better as well as many other ergonimics such as the shifter, the Z is lighter and I have had zero issues with mine.
I spent $350 on works tripple rates and put the hotcams in. Now it is faster than a piped predator, with reverse and I spent about $100 more.

With the exhaust, sprocket, cams and airlid off I beat Preds by more than a couple lengths with exhaust and drilled lids. I weigh 215 so that's not the issue.
From this point both quads can be made even faster. 470 kit Z's are making 60 HP at the wheel. If I wanted that kind of power I would need to spend $325 on the kit, $500 on a carb and $125 for a sleeve install. Less than a grand for all of that. That power should be enough for us average Joe's
Then you woke up!
There is no way that you can double your HP for only a $1000. A recent atv mag just did a artical on a Z-440 racer, and had about $1500 into the motor and only got around 45HP, and you think with only a grand you can get 60hp at the wheels. Don't believe it, if this was true, why hasn't anyone done it yet, or have proof to back it up.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Gotta agree with GE here Barely. You never mentioned the cost of the cams, or for that matter the labor. For the Predator, all you have to do is add the front rezzi's and the suspension will reach it's fully adjustable mark....also won't bottom out like I've heard from some Z's. With just a silencer, K&N, and 5 Univents in the airbox, you're set. If you want to get into comparing re-cammed motors, we can do that also. Did you spend $300+ on an after-market chromoly axle yet? How about another $100 or so for stainless braided lines....don't forget to factor all that labor into the equation. Bang for the buck, a Predator's pretty hard to beat. not saying it's for everyone, but at least you don't have to change out your frame.

just my 2c

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: predator 500 vs z400