Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tie Rod End Update......

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2000, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK,
After many hours of sloshing and churning mud, I took the front wheel off the Magnum to look at it close.. So far, everything looks good.!!!.... No slop, easy steering, still feels rugged as ever...
NOTE:
One thing I am going to change is the grease fitting... On the left side of the machine, the grease fitting faces directly towards the strut, it can be bypassed by turning full lock to one direction.... But I'm thinking that a 90 degree grease zerk would just make it SO much easier. Add to that the fact that the original heim joint zerks dont have spring loaded ball checks in them to prevent grease from backing out the zerk, I feel that its a worthwhile modification to a modification..
Its just note EVER gonna be perfect enough... Theres ALWAYS something about any machine that cna be improved upon... ahahahahahahahaa....
Any and all criticism is appreciated!!..

Old 04-27-2000, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

They must have been plum out of the good Zerks
when your machine was made. Must have come off the line on a Monday or a Friday. Anything made
just before, or right after the weekend is a
lemon! Ha Ha Ha

Even my '93 Sportsman 350 has check ***** on the
Zerks man! Either they ran out of the good ones
or it was a cost cutting move so the CEO could
get a bigger bonus this year. LOL!

Old 04-28-2000, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

ATV,
Yeah, I know all about cost cutting measures... Anyway, the heim joints are actually used for shop settings and industrial applications.. I leared today that I could have ordered the different grease zerks when I purchased the Heim Joints for an additional .25 cents each....
Anyway, the grease zerks can be bought at any local auto parts store fairly cheap...
This isn't a Polaris thing.. its more of a " Got tired of Polaris steering rod ends failing, so I came up with what I think is something better!!!"..

Old 04-29-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there Mud ; Just a note to add on this Topic. I blew out my first Tie rod end since 1994 last Sunday. It was on my 99 Magnum 500 like yours. I had a little altercation with a tree.
I went to my dealer to get a new set and discovered that all of the tie rod ends are now being changed over to the 2000 style Hiem joints.They look like good pieces .I put them on my 500 and realigned the front end and much to my surprise there was a reduction in steering effort,even my wife commented on it. I can't imagine why it would be but it was Maybe the front end was out. Anyhow just thought I'd let everyone be aware of this change in case you are going to have to replace a set any time soon. You will be replacing with the updated parts.

Old 04-29-2000, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

mudmachine
My tie rods seem to be holding up well also. I knew something was different about those fittings, I guess that ball thingy is the difference. I turned both of mine toward the rear of the machine for easier access. My steering was good and tight for a while, now it appears my lower steering stem bushing is getting sloppy. I know youve told me before but where can I get a GOOD steering stem bushing, not Polaris. Also, how difficult is it to change? Im thinking since I probably have to tear all that stuff apart I'll go ahead and try to replace those inner rod ends while Im at it.

Old 04-29-2000, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Kagey,
Yeah, I thought about going to Polaris for the later models.. but with the help of Ronnie (Pfelect) and some digging, I got these for about $9.00 each.
They give me the option to grease them, which will help them to last longer in the conditions I ride in... (Hahahahaa. ask Ronnie about "Riding Conditions" at Fun Wheeler Park)
Anyway, The 2000 Polaris parts seem much better than the 99 models.. ALTHOUGH any of them break when fighting trees... hahaha..
Ronnie, I'm in the same boat as you, the Scrambler has to have the lower steering post bushing replaced as well..
Check out www.rittercycle.com Go to his Polaris section and scroll most of the way down.. He's got a replacement thats made of Billet aluminum and bronze(or brass cant remember which) for $35.00 Sounds like a deal to me... I'm probably gonna order one pretty quick.. My girlfried is ready to go back out there and roost up Mary's Mudhole again... She wanted to get in there and throw mud when you and the guy on the Sportsman were in there, but wasn't sure if ya'll would have liked that or not.. So she didn't... She DID say that next time, she WAS gonna get in there cause ya'll wouldn't be "newbies" next time.. hahahaha.. Just giving ya fair warning.. WATCH OUT FOR HER!..

Old 04-30-2000, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for that info. BTW, let your gf know that 2 can play that game!! I know it would be hot as hell but Ive got some time off in July, maybe I can come out then. Has anyone ever mounted an AC unit in a dome tent?

Old 04-30-2000, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Kagey, did your dealer actually say Polaris recommended upgrading to the latest tie rod end or was this his own suggestion?? Neither of the dealers I use even knew of the change till I pointed it out to them.

Aren’t you running Mud Runners on that Mag? If you have 9” MRs on stock front wheels that new larger joint will rub on the inside of the right tire. If that’s your setup you’d better check it quick or the boot on that tie rod end will be trash in short order.

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the tree, they usually win :{ Sounds like you’re OK though.

Old 04-30-2000, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Ha Ha Ha You guys are mokking me aren't you??
Floodrunner; When I went to get my parts. The parts manager stated "There has been a replacement of that part# 'an upgrade". It must have been a recent thing because they had not gotten the price for them in their system yet. They just gave them to me and told me next time I was in town to stop by and we'd settle up.
As for clearence with the tires that is not a problem there is only a small diffrence in the overall size of the parts. It bolts right on with no problem ,the only thing diffent is that the new joints are a little shorter and require re-aligning the front end to get the toe out correct.
Mud ;your project sounds like it has been a success if I ever have any more trouble I will certainly be in touch with you.

Old 04-30-2000, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Kagey, How do you like your xplorer 250 4x4?