Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you use super glue on grips

Old 04-28-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am getting ready to put some soft grips on the Polaris, has anybody tried to use super glue or knows if this will work, has anyone ever heard of using the 3M weatherstripping for adhesion...thanks

Old 04-28-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

i would just go spend 3 bucks on some grip glue and do it right.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:52 PM
jim
Pro Rider

I've used the grip glue twice w/ soft Oury grips & it worked great in dry & semi wet conditions but after riding hard in exreamly wet/muddy/thunderstorm conditions the grips worked themselfs loose. The glue dried hard & was not sticky. I now tried double sided tape 8 thick on the end w/ a plastic wire tie towards the middle/end of the grip so I'll see if this hold up.
Jim

Old 04-28-2000, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I use silicone to hold them on. Cheap, available and pretty darn tough. I always seem to have a tube of bathtub or automotive silicone lying around.

DJ

Old 04-28-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thats the reason I ask this question steve it wasn't a matter of money I just had some friends that didn't have good luck either with the grip glue...thanks for the silicon idea deej I think that is the route I will take.

Old 04-28-2000, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I've personaly tried three different types of grip glue and they all come lose after a day or two of riding. Somebody figure this out and let us all know. Bye the way super glue don't work either or crazy glue, tried them also.
Later, bodineus
P.S- Maybe we all need to let up on the death grip...LOL

Old 04-28-2000, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have raced motocross and ridden 4 wheelers for 15 years now. There is nothing on the market that can beat using gasoline to secure your grips to the bars. Clean the surface of the bar to bare metal if you have bars that are painted, then swab some gas on the bar and the inside of the grip at almost the same time, you must work very fast as the gas will evaporate and at the same time weld the grip to the bar. When I say fast I mean just seconds from the time you put the gas on the grip to the time you start pushing it on. I found it works better if you have someone hold the other side of the bars so you have more leverage to push. Using this method your grips will never come off, slide around or even budge a little until you cut them off. Good luck

Old 04-28-2000, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

I've used the auto weatherstrip glue and it works great. My dealer recommended it. Cheap to.

Old 04-28-2000, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

hooven i will try that when i get my new bars in

Old 04-28-2000, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

I use my wifes sticky old hair spray. Dries pretty fast and is really sticky too. Also very cheap. The gasoline trick sounds good too. Also very cheap!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you use super glue on grips