Polls Post your Polls here

Whats your dream quad?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A kfx 700 with a Yamaha Apex snowmobile motor, elka stage 3 suspension, Itp holeshot tires front and back, full yoshi exhaust, a dyno jet power commander, rental handle bars, Hinson clutch kit not to much just enough to get around on the trails lol

Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=Whiteboy98;3131114]A kfx 700 with a Yamaha Apex snowmobile motor, elka stage 3 suspension, Itp holeshot tires front and back, full yoshi exhaust, a dyno jet power commander, rental handle bars, Hinson clutch kit, 3 inch lowering kit, a 8 inch extended swing arm, and make 53" wide

Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

let see...a sport utility with the comfort of a polaris, the reliability of a grizzly, the low end (to 40) and the playfullness of a brute, the mid and top end of an outy, all in a package weighing 700lbs or less wet. That would be it for me...unfortunately, it does not exist

Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hmm. that is hard question. My moods are always changing and I can be sooo fickle. For a sport quad, I thought my Raptor 700 was great, but lately I have had my eyes on a KTM. 525 trail edition. For trail riding, I would like to upgrade my old syle Rubicon to a new Grizzly 700 with EPS, but a couple weeks ago, I got to ride a new Outlander1000 XT and was very much impressed. But man are they expensive. Also really like that mud machine they make, now with 1000 CC V-twin. radiator mounted onthe hood etc. That puppy would not be very practical on trails, but for working around the old home place, it would be outrageous. I'd really love to have a commander XT 1000 in my garage too. But, if I were to get them all, there goes my retirement. The easiest to give up these days would be the sport machines. Just had bypass surgery 8 months ago an the days of going fast are over. That XT 1000 quad would be great, with EPS... but the real factor now is protecting my body. And that means putting a roll cage over my head. So for me, the Commander XT 1000 is probably going to be my next purchase.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Hmm. that is hard question. My moods are always changing and I can be sooo fickle. For a sport quad, I thought my Raptor 700 was great, but lately I have had my eyes on a KTM. 525 trail edition. For trail riding, I would like to upgrade my old syle Rubicon to a new Grizzly 700 with EPS, but a couple weeks ago, I got to ride a new Outlander1000 XT and was very much impressed. But man are they expensive. Also really like that mud machine they make, now with 1000 CC V-twin. radiator mounted onthe hood etc. That puppy would not be very practical on trails, but for working around the old home place, it would be outrageous. I'd really love to have a commander XT 1000 in my garage too. But, if I were to get them all, there goes my retirement. The easiest to give up these days would be the sport machines. Just had bypass surgery 8 months ago an the days of going fast are over. That XT 1000 quad would be great, with EPS... but the real factor now is protecting my body. And that means putting a roll cage over my head. So for me, the Commander XT 1000 is probably going to be my next purchase.
Got a chance to put a few miles on a Commander 800 up in Jackman, ME a couple weeks ago. Only thing I didn't like is when you have a burly body like mine the steering wheel is awfully close to my over the belt stomach. Other than that, the ride was good, power was great, and the features were excellent. Was doing about 30-35 on some open road-type trails and, if it was understeering in the corners, it just took a quick hit of the gas pedal to break the tires free and correct the trajectory.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Moose. I haven't spent a great deal of time on one. After climbing off my Rubicon, it is like getting onto a Cadillac. I am not a big time trail guy any more, and speed doesn't even register in my vocabulary any more. I use mine to pull carts/trailer around, plow snow etc. Pretty much what I can do with a tractor, I do with my ATV as it is easier to manuver. Occasionally I'll check fence rows with it etc. My needs are pretty simple and like you I have a over teh belt look going on too. For me, I want something that is stable and not going to do anything stupid. After heart surgery, I don't want to risk a roll over. I wear my chest protector religiously now. I do however feel that a side by side will ultimately be the next purchase. Either that or a new tractor with a backhoe and bucket setup. Maybe even a cab with AC and Heat for those days I spend mowing or blowing snow. That would really be nice. Not that I hate snow, but I am too old to enjoy playing in it.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

I would be happy with a 400EX

Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bruce, I like your thinking. I have been around the world of ATV riding far longer than I like to think about and I have a few observations I'd like to share. Back when the ATC 90 was as big as they come, we had a blast on them. Just fast enough to generate a little wind in your face and not get into too much trouble. Then the sport soon morphed to machines running 250 MX motors, and people started getting hurt and killed. And the Safety council shut them down. The quad was born and we have been riding that my tool is bigger/faster than yours etc. Engines have grown to 1000 cc's or more now. I have always said that there were very few people who actually NEED more than 500 CC's. BUt as I got older, and started using mine around the old homestead for more than just a ride to the south 40, I find that having a little more HP is a good thing. So I NEED something bigger now to push that snow, pull those stumps, drag them logs etc. I have still maintained that most people do not need more than 500 CC's, but I have come to accept the idea that going big has it's advantages too. So if a 400 EX floats your boat and gets teh job done, more power to you and I hope it brings hours of fun to you. If that is your dream ride, enjoy it.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Bruce, I like your thinking. I have been around the world of ATV riding far longer than I like to think about and I have a few observations I'd like to share. Back when the ATC 90 was as big as they come, we had a blast on them. Just fast enough to generate a little wind in your face and not get into too much trouble. Then the sport soon morphed to machines running 250 MX motors, and people started getting hurt and killed. And the Safety council shut them down. The quad was born and we have been riding that my tool is bigger/faster than yours etc. Engines have grown to 1000 cc's or more now. I have always said that there were very few people who actually NEED more than 500 CC's. BUt as I got older, and started using mine around the old homestead for more than just a ride to the south 40, I find that having a little more HP is a good thing. So I NEED something bigger now to push that snow, pull those stumps, drag them logs etc. I have still maintained that most people do not need more than 500 CC's, but I have come to accept the idea that going big has it's advantages too. So if a 400 EX floats your boat and gets teh job done, more power to you and I hope it brings hours of fun to you. If that is your dream ride, enjoy it.
Indeed my friend, I am 50 and in remission for 3rd stage throat cancer. I have small quads as I just got into this sport, but hope to one day move up to a 400 EX. And yes you been there done that and now you have what suits you best, cheers my friend! Bruce

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya my friend. I have had a wild past 5 years with first blowing a knee and having 7 surgeries to fix that, then crushing my ankle and having plates and screws holding it together, then last winter, I suffered a stroke and subsequent double bypass. All of these have kind of put my riding on a back burner. But I tell ya, I can't think of better therapy. As long as you have teh physical ability to ride... I don't think there is an exercise machine around that will allow you work your body and soul like a quad. I highly recommend you try one with power steering. It definitely will help you extend your sessions without wearing out your entire body. the fact is, I recommend everyone consider riding as a therapy. I have had to change some things as I heal. I had my rubicon out for a few minutes this past weekend. That thing is a tank and I could feel it pulling on my chest, but I finished what I started with it. Was tired as heck, but you could not wipe the smile off my face afterwards. Still haven't taken the snow plow off it from last winter. Thank God I didn't need it, I don't think I'd have been able to use it. Still not there, but I am getting there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats your dream quad?