Polls Post your Polls here
View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the way President Obama is doing his job?
Outstanding - Just what I voted for
2.91%
Pretty Good – Like most of what he is doing
9.71%
Average – Just OK
7.77%
Below Average – Dislike most of what he is doing
11.65%
Failing – Don’t like what he is doing to the country
67.96%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Presidential Approval Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldman800
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive. A country boy will survive"
Good quote. My only worry would be the millions of city dwellers that descend on the country areas lookin' for meat Wouldn't that be scary....A bunch of Yahoos running around with their hand guns shooting at anything that moves.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

The yahoos that don't know what they are doing would not be welcomed in the "Hills". That would NOT be a good situation for them to be in. Besides, they would probably mostly be hanging around waiting fot the "government" to take care of them.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
No facts below; just my opinions.

Nobody is talking about "every" business; it's the core American financial, industrial base. The number of business being stabilized could be counted on your two hands. These are the foundations of lending that makes our behemoth economy work. No credit, no business, no job.
But they are Cherry Picking who they "Help". Explain why they let IndyMac & WAMU fail? Many of the banks that got money didn't even what it. Now they are going through a mountain of crap to give it back. The government doesn't want it back, because they will loose their controll over the banks. FREE ENTERPRISE is what this country was founded on, not the government picking and choosing who fails and who survives. You can prop up the foundation all you want, but if the building isn't sound, it will fall anyway.

There's no inflationary fears. In fact, the opposite it true. Deflation is (was) a bigger fear. Have you seen all the 50% signs all over the place? Have you noticed that a roll of copper Romex used to cost about $95 or more at its peak (250'), and it now costs about $60. If inflation rears it's head, they raise interest rates and put the brakes on. That's why we have so many interest rate adjustments. Our economy is too big to raise inflation as you propose. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. -We should revisit this thread in six months and check out the inflation.
That is more a result of supply and demand. When you simply print money with no Capital to back it (Selling the debt or the Gold Standard), the only whay to keep the value of the curency is through Inflation.

Are waiting for the government to pay your bills RPM, you're going to be waiting an awfully long time. Again, you must secure the foundation, or the building it stands on fails.
I don't want or need the government to pay my bills. In fact my fear is that they will want me to help pay everyone elses bills.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM

I don't want or need the government to pay my bills. In fact my fear is that they will want me to help pay everyone elses bills.
Sadly, that is exactly what they expect of us.

"The Lord helps those, who help themselves. The government helps those that don't."

Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good quote. My only worry would be the millions of city dwellers that descend on the country areas lookin' for meat Wouldn't that be scary....A bunch of Yahoos running around with their hand guns shooting at anything that moves.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Oldman800
The yahoos that don't know what they are doing would not be welcomed in the "Hills". That would NOT be a good situation for them to be in. Besides, they would probably mostly be hanging around waiting fot the "government" to take care of them.
In a total economic collapse (movie stuff), it'd be hard to keep them back.....the government wouldn't have the resources or ability to help. Just making up crap.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Sadly, that is exactly what they expect of us.

"The Lord helps those, who help themselves. The government helps those that don't."
The bad part is that the new proposed "TAX" system has Real results. I own a small business. I recently had an opportunity to take on a new contract. That contract would have resulted in 2 unemployed people getting jobs. Because of President Obama's plan to tax anyone making over $250,000 a year, that new contract would have put me over that limit. Because I don't feel like working just to give the government my profits so they can give it to people that don't even want to work, I didn't even bid the job and two people are still unemployed.

That right there is ACTUALL Results of a flawed tax plan.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I'm replying again.....I said I wasn't going to, but I can't help myself.

Originally Posted by RPM
The government doesn't want it back, because they will loose their controll over the banks.
Correct. Nobody wants to rehash this BS in the near future. About 1/5 of them failed their stress tests and wanted to give the money back. You know why they want to give the money back? So they don't have the government looking at the bonuses they've become so accustomed to. They want their bonuses back! I say screw that.....they need to get back on their feet, before they can go having their million dollar parties and trips to the spa if the FDIC is going be back their limp a$$. FDIC is talking about having to borrow money money to cover these bums. Based on their current financial condition, they are unfit to be trusted without oversight. Too many parties, too many office remodels, too many trips to the Bermuda for "customer meetings". I moved our money out of our old bank. Royal Bank of Scotland is a joke and it's nearly fully owned by the Brits now.

Remember the "Keating Five". We got all our money back from that disaster in the 80s and bailed out / took over countless S&Ls. Once they were deemed stable, the money was paid back, or the bank was dismantled and the Feds got out of their face. By the sounds of it you have a bit too much trust in these bankers right now.

Originally Posted by RPM
That is more a result of supply and demand. When you simply print money with no Capital to back it (Selling the debt or the Gold Standard), the only whay to keep the value of the currency is through Inflation.
True about the S&D, however the demand is directly related to the availability of money and the demand (as you know) is what drives the inflation. I don't think they've "printed" enough money to create the inflation you describe. Unfortunately China is currently backing the money, and has been for many years. So they're not just printing money. It is backed. How long that will remain the case, who knows. China could easily get cold feet and stop lending....We're the most stable market for their cash, so they keep lending for cheap....it's a vicious cycle.

We still live in the greatest country on earth.

I found this:

Prime Rate
1981: 20.5%
2009: 3.25% (Current)
Inflation
1980: 14.8%
2008: 0% (December)
Unemployment Rate
1982: 10.8%
2008: 7.2% (December)
30-Year Mortgage Rate
1981: 18.5%
2009: 4.96% (Current)
Real Gas Price (2008 dollars)
1981:
$3.45 per gallon
2009: $2.12 (Current)

Originally Posted by RPM
I knew what you were getting at RPM. Nobody wants or expects that to happen.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I found this:

Prime Rate
1981: 20.5%
2009: 3.25% (Current)
Inflation
1980: 14.8%
2008: 0% (December)
Unemployment Rate
1982: 10.8%
2008: 7.2% (December)
30-Year Mortgage Rate
1981: 18.5%
2009: 4.96% (Current)
Real Gas Price (2008 dollars)
1981:
$3.45 per gallon
2009: $2.12 (Current)
Ahhh, the Carter years.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

About 1/5 of them failed their stress tests and wanted to give the money back. You know why they want to give the money back? So they don't have the government looking at the bonuses they've become so accustomed to.
Don't get me wrong, the Banks were out of control with their lending practices (Much of them pushed upon them by Government.) and their perks needed to be reigned in but the truth is when you are talking BILLIONS, the money they are spending on their B.S. is small potatoes. It is a good rallying call for anger and it helps keep the American public from seeing the Big Picture and what the government is doing behind the scenes. The "Stress Tests" were a Joke. They are flawed because they are based on Faulty numbers and different scenarios for every bank tested. The governments end goal is to take over the financial system. They can't have the banks passing the Stress Tests if they want to take them over now can they?

True about the S&D, however the demand is directly related to the availability of money and the demand (as you know) is what drives the inflation. I don't think they've "printed" enough money to create the inflation you describe. Unfortunately China is currently backing the money, and has been for many years. So they're not just printing money. It is backed. How long that will remain the case, who knows. China could easily get cold feet and stop lending....We're the most stable market for their cash, so they keep lending for cheap....it's a vicious cycle.
You have the country chugging along at a fairly high rate of production. Suddenly the economy comes to a screeching halt. Now the economic wheel that had been rolling along producing record numbers of products, has all of this product and no demand (For whatever reason.) The only way to handle that situation is to sit on the product and hope the economy recovers fast or lower the price on the goods to lower inventory.

China has already said that they aren't going to continue to purchase our Unsustainable, Ever Increasing debt. As a result, we are printing money at a record pace. In March of this year, the Federal Reserve began buying up to $300 billion in government debt (They are buying their own Debt. How does that work? Answer, it doesn't, it's a paper shuffle.). With all of these things happening, the only way to keep any value in the dollar, the government is going to have to Inflate it.

We still live in the greatest country on earth.
Amen my friend.

Technically, this isn't a "Political" discussion, it is a "Financial" discussion.

Quick Reply: Presidential Approval Poll