Polls Post your Polls here
View Poll Results: What is the dumbest thing you've ever done with your ATV?
Attempted a Water Crossing
14.89%
Deliberately Ran into Something
0%
Crucially Misjudged the Size of a Jump
12.77%
Got Lost/Stranded
14.89%
Other - My Stupidity Knows no Bounds
57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Poll of the Month: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Me and a friend went for a trail ride and both of us were on reserve not realizing it. We both ran out of gas at almost the same time.
it was a 7 mile nature walk before we seen someone and got a ride.
Ugghhh....

7 miles is the distance that a New England type yankee calls, "about a mile from here". Never listen when they say it's just a little walk.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

As for seeing others; last year when I did my first trail ride at Tuttle dam I had my brother-in-law and his two sons with me who were 12 and 6 at the time and both had their own rides (90cc and 50cc). We started with their dad leading the way then the two of them and me behind (I thought it smart keeping them between us). We came to a hill that the big ones had no problem with but their smaller ones couldn't do. The little one stopped part way up and then started rolling back and then hit his rear brake and you know what happened next. From where I was about 20' behind it sure looked like it rolled over him and of course all the horrid thoughts went in my mind. I got up to him fast as I could and asked him if he was ok and the little turd was laughing his butt off and said "i'm ok". After that we were more careful but the little one wasn't. When we decided to call it a day his dad and I were getting ready to load up and the two boys were still out just on the flat part by the staging area. All of a sudden, I see his 50cc machine going by all by itself. I have to admit my first thought was "that's strange" before it kicked in there could be a bad reason for it. Apparently there was a small washout by where you enter the north part of the trail and he tried to do a jump. According to his brother who was the only one who saw this all happen, he did the jump but when he came down it bounced him off. It bruised his leg and tore a hole in his pants and quite naturally shook him up. By the time we had lunch he was still sore but better.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Havn't done anything that bad yet, but it's still early, and this is my first year. Wish me luck!!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Another time I was riding in a slue (if that's how you spell it), and got a good ways away from my grandparents house behind the Indian mounds and found a nice open spot and started doing doughnuts, well about 4 minutes in, there was ALOT of spinning lol, I caught traction in the gumbo and it threw me and almost flipped my warrior I had at the time, well I was up as soon as my head bounced off the ground and to my suprise sometime on my way being thrown off I must've shifted it into neutral, so now I'm in the the slue and the warrior is rolling the middle of my cousins soybean feild and I started off ***** to the walls after it lol, thank The Lord for helmets, about to turn 15 and I could've already been dead three times, never go without a helmet

Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

Water crossing I'd been through many times had recently gotten deeper from the rain. Not normally a place I go by myself, but that day I did. Anyway I was almost out of it and then got caught on the barb wire fence that goes alongside of it. Of course that made me lose momentum and then I'm stuck.

It had to sit in the water overnight until I could get back to where I had a longer rope to attach to my winch. The tree I needed to hook to was way too far away. Finally got it out and the airbox was half full of water and gas. Drained the carb and the airbox and got her started finally.

Drove back to the house and drained all the fluids that were completely milky. Also unwrapped a foot of fence that was wrapped around the damn axle.

Had to go back later that day and fix the fence too! What a pain in the ***!

Don't try to cross water you haven't checked with a stick if you're not sure how deep it is!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Another one:

Don't cross little short creeks going fast. I learned that when I was still new to quads. AFTER the front wheels are in you can give it more gas, not before. I did not even think about it (obviously physics rule here) and the momentum instantly stopped the bike making me go forward into the handlebars. 3 cracked ribs = lesson learned.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see 50% voting "Other - My Stupidity Knows no Bounds". I know I'm not alone.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

why i have plenty of stupid moments the best (or worst one depending on how you look at it) was when i was in a rutted coal field on a friends 500 scrambler and there was a hill with 2 ways to go up everyone i was with took the right side i thought hey ill go left to avoid getting stuck behind everyone else, not thinking of why they all whent right i got up the going about 15mph and hit a 6 foot rut popped the tire off the rim and got thrown over the handlebars into an 8 foot rut it hurt.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Was working on my property and one of my dogs caught a fawn and was dragging it into the woods. I gave chase on my Vinson and came to the creek slammed on the brakes, front brakes only and flipped the quad over on top of me. Bruised kidney and pee'd blood afterwards.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This was way back in the day, pre license and not a very smart thing to do...
Saturday around noon I had the urge to go riding with my buddy who lived on the other side of town. I decided to ride my kx 125 through the center of town.
After seeing Main st blocked off because of the high school home coming parade panic set in... I decide to join the parade and just idled allong with the parade floats through town. Towards the end of the route I saw my escape, killed the motor, walked my kx through the crowd. After a safe distance I kicked her over and made a B line.

Quick Reply: Poll of the Month: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your ATV?