Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Artic Cat 500 leaking gas.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Artic Cat 500 leaking gas.

Hey folks, hope all is well with you. I have an 02 Artic cat 500 4x4 automatic with 500 miles. It is green with the dump bed if that helps. It is leaking gas from the drain hole at the bottom of the carb. I've taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly and tested the float by submersing it in water and it's tight. I'm thinking even though the needle valve and seat looks good it may be the culprit. It runs fine but with a little flooding at an idle. It did sit up empty of fuel for a couple years if that helps. Any suggestions I should try? Also I can't seem to find a replacement seat that is stamped 2.4 either????

Thanks for any help in advance.
CA Johnson in North FLorida

Old 12-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Have you checked the float height? I think it is 17 mm. I might look for a rebuild kit, maybe even from the dealer. I would start with a really complete cleaning, blow out all the jets. I think the rebuild kit will have a new needle valve, don't know if you need to change the seat, but I know the little seal on the end of the needle can break down. I have the same problem with my old CK 580 Case RT forklift, rebuild it, year later it starts leaking. I can tell you, once you get it perfect, try to drive it more, new gas does not like to set for long.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks.

I appreciate your rapid response, I have not checked the float height as I didn't know that was a thing, lol. I've got it soaked and cleaned with the jets blown out. I figured it would be the needle valve but I can't seem to tell which one i online and I'm an hour away from the nearest Artic cat dealer. I'm gonna try to find and replace the needle valve first. Is there anything else you're aware of that may cause this?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks Old Polaris tech!

I actually googled "what year models are compatible with a 2002 Arctic cat 500" and couldn't get a straight answer. I'm assuming it's 2000 to 2002 by the link?i already returned 1 kit that wasn't the right one. The gaskets were wrong and the needle valve was almost twice as long as it should have been. Y'all have been very helpful. Thank you all and God bless you for your willingness to help others in need.

CA Johnson

Old 12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you go to K&T Parts House you can download a parts manual free for your AC. I have a 2001 AC 500 AND A 2002 ac 400. Both have very similar Keihin CVK 34 mm carbs. BTW Sometimes you can find parts from Suzuki motors that fit, as AC used the Suzuki motors, just built under license in the US.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks hydrex!

That will be a great help. I have a few other things including brakes to work on and that will be an awesome resource. Thanks a million for yalls generosity. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.

CA Johnson

Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay fellas, I recleaned the carb and jets as well as replacing the needle valve. It's still leaking though not as bad. The float height is right at 16.7 mm and I'm out of ideas. Could it be anything other than the seat at this point? Maybe decreasing or increasing the idler? I just drove an hour to get a $28.39 needle valve and they didn't even have the seat.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Problem could be that the seat is worn out also as most are and the seat o-ring is letting fuel past the needle.That is if this is a Mukuni carb with the replaceable seat and not a Keihin with seats pressed in. If that 's the case I'd raise the float height to 17mm and see how it does.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default old Polaris tech

It is in fact a keihin. I tried to remove the seat to clean it but it ain't happening. I'm gonna try to clean the inside of the seat with carb cleaner and a q-tip more thoroughly and adjust the height to 17 mm and see how it does. I also bought a rubber compression nipple that fits super tight on it if all else fails. 👍 I'll let ya know if it works.
Thanks again,
C.A. Johnson

Search this Thread