Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman 700, complete loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 700, complete loss of power

my 700 carb model would turn over and catch a little but not run, so I was changing the plugs. got the new right plug in, then when I got the old one out of the left cylinder I turned the bike over to clear any dirt that may have fallen in, and she started with just the right cylinder firing.
so I turned off the ignition and then turned off the emergency stop button, thinking that I would turn it over again without staring up before I installed the left plug.... but now I got nothing, no lights, no dash illumination, wont turn over, nothing, not even a clicking sound.
I was thinking that my old weathered left handlebar kill switch might have failed (seeing that everything was fine till I tried that). got a new switch assembly ordered. is there anything I can check while I wait?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Spray some electrical cleaner into the cracks and crevices of the left control switch and work on/off switch back and forth several times plus check connections.This may help. Brass plates can corrode over time especially on switches that aren't used that often. Tearing them apart doesn't usually help either as small parts can fly out.Anytime the emergency switch is off, no voltage is allowed to the ignition switch,dash lights,starter,etc. Try this,but usually takes a new control switch like what you've ordered.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

thanks OPT, got new switch and still nothing. time to check the "fuse in a bag"s?

Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes,sorry that I forgot to mention to check that first.. If it's corroded you can replace this 20 amp breaker at any auto supply.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

one of them was badly corroded. changed both, still no love

Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the two connectors that tie into the left control switch. Make sure the pins are clean as it can stop power from reaching the other parts of the machine even with a new left control switch. Plus you may need to follow these wires down into the headlight pod area for any bare or broken wires. Even a simple high beam yellow can short power out as it makes a sharp bend. Found several like this. Plus you may have to remove sections of the wiring loom on the main harness under the pod as this is where al the stretching and turning takes a toll on wiring also.This may help as it has good trouble shooting guides along with wiring diagrams. 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download Plus don't think we touched base on the battery. They can show 12+ volts and still be bad. I'd check connection,charge it up and load test it.Sometimes the simple hings may be the problem.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Last edited by old polaris tech; 01-16-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Battery and connections..
Old 01-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

unhooked the battery to try one from another quad, the other one didn't fit, so I just installed the original battery again and voila! started first twist of the key thanks again OPT

Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Connection issue or corrosion on the cables evidently. Sometimes it is the simple things we over look.Glad it's working ok now.