Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just one thing after another

Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just one thing after another

Need some help please, I'm stumped. 2006 sportsman 800.
About 6 weeks ago it wouldn't start, just clicked, so checked battery, was going to clean terminals on solenoid ended up breaking 1 stud off. No biggie, ordered a new one. Install, same issue. Traced it to the starter, ordered that and replaced, cranked up perfectly.

Now it's running low rpms, in neutral I can increase RPM's but in drive sounds sluggish. Well checked the fuel and just about empty. Pour new fuel in, still not right. Was running fine prior to starter issue. I did have to pull air box, cleaned pre-filter, box, lid, and wiped the intake opening and butterfly to engine. Also had to disconnect the sensor on intake, reconnected it on install. Oil was a little high on dip stick, but same oil I had been running it with prior. What does the sensor do?? Tried. Removing it but did not want to force it and break because it's probably $300 polaris only piece.

Any thoughts, thanks.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't over look clutches and belt when this happens also..Not normally a sensor problem but the sensor harness and wiring.Most common was the tbap with tps coming in second.Tbap or tmap in your case has a lot to do with a consistent idle. Another common problem was the crank position sensor wire possibly touching the starter and causing erratic problems.The sensor on the intake is the tbap or tmap as it's called on the 700/800 machines. Item#30 in the break down. Sometimes you can wiggle the tmap or tps harness while running and see if you hear a change.If you do this is a dead give away that it's the wiring or connector.That where otb comes into play.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Attached Thumbnails Just one thing after another-index.png   Just one thing after another-polarismanual_wiring_disclaimer.png  
Old 03-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still at this, haven't gone to a shop yet but soon. What I did find is a cell in the battery is bad. Even though battery checks at 12.7 sitting after charge, then 12.4 while running. Where is the voltage supposed to be while running??? Now I've tried getting it to throw a code, nothing but just yesterday it started blinking the battery light. I'm really hoping it's as simple (or frustrating) as the battery. Had it tested at auto parts store and said bad.
thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even if the battery has a dead cell,charging rate is too low.Should be around 14 volts or so. Look at the regulator connections. You can do a general test on the stator yellow wires. Each yellow to another should have some resistance reading with no yellow shorting to ground. If this checks out,I'd say regulator is toast along with the battery if it fails a load test. Item #39.Polaris ATV Parts 2006 A06MH76AL SPORTSMAN 800 EFI ELECTRICAL Diagram