Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Front end parts for a lt 230s

Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end parts for a lt 230s

I have a lt 230s that needs almost every part replaced on the front end. Any suggestions or where to find good cheep parts. Any particular preferred brands?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to save money, get the complete bearing kits on eBay (all ***** is one brand that comes to mind, but there are others). Same with ball joints and tie rod ends.

Also, the 1988 model (last year for the 230s) had a different mounting system for the a-arms than the previous models. They went to the same cap seal / roller bearing style that the 87 and newer quad racers have, and got away from the ball socket style that the 85-86 quadracers, and the 85-87 quadsports had.

If you need actual tie rods and a-arms, search eBay for used parts. Just remember that the a-arms from a 1988 model won't fit on an 85-87 model, and vice versa.

Also, a-arms from a 230E (all years) will fit the 85-87 230s, as will the spindles and everything else. The shocks are stiffer and heavier on the 230E, but they will also work on the sport.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Light rider

Thanks for the advice about shocks. I'm really light at 135 lbs but I'm wanting the bike to handle good on trails and some decent jumps. Will the stiffer shocks help me out or should I stick with the stock ones? I do also have riders sometimes but not jump with them on.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 135 lbs, you should stick with stock shocks, especially on the front. They are nice and plush and you won't ever bottom them out at your weight. I wouldn't even set the preload as stiff as it will go. If you jump really large, you might stiffen up the preload on the rear shock a little. I've found it will bottom out quite easily on mid size jumps. Of course, I'm 265 lbs.

Careful riding with passengers. That's a small machine and it handles WAY different when you put someone on the back. As light as you are, you're going to have trouble with the front end pushing.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I could also use some advise on what to do to stiffen up my preloads on the shocks. I want to eventually replace them but I'm gonna work on tiered ends/bushings and bearings first.