Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help Needed! 96 Yamaha timberwolf

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed! 96 Yamaha timberwolf

When I got the atv it ran started fine it didn't have an airbox and the intake rubber coated boot that goes from the carb to the motor had epoxy around it so it made me think it was cracked so got a used one and I decided to buy a rebuild kit for the carb it has a 85 main jet, cleaned and put all back together and set the Jets and idle how it says in the manual it ran like crap had no acceleration and would bog down. After taking the carb off a few times and cleaning it going back over the specs on the Jets there was no change pulled carb off my moto 4 it has same carb but bigger main jet it's a 112 I think and it solved my acceleration problem and it ran fast no bogging down but wouldnt stay running would die if I didn't hold the gas. Changed spark plug (checked gap), checked for air leaks (none that I found), cleaned gas tank and cleaned filters on petcock, and ran new gas line. No Luck! The exhaust has a few little rust holes and a quater size one on the side of muffler would that have any affect? I'm stuck and have no idea what to do!

Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"When I got the atv it ran started fine" Classic case of if it aint broke don't fix it. Your new jets may not be right, or you may have assembled something wrongly. A holed exhaust and no air filter will affect carburation, but I would go back to the old jets and settings, and go from there.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay ordered new exhaust will update if it fixes the problem.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Put new exhaust on cleaned and put all the factory Jets back in But still no change when I said everything was running good im meaning I didnt have the problems im having now that's when it had a cracked intake boot from carb to motor that the previous owner had epoxy over and no air filter or airbox after replacing those things is when it started to give me problems. It sounds like it's backfiring in the carb almost but I'm not sure but that's when it's dies or wants to die. I forgot to mention how the holes got into exhaust I had atv running trying to adjust idle and a/f screw afterwards I ran up and down drive way and it backfired a few times and it blew the holes on the side.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Right, so the previous owner had re-jetted it for no air box, and possibly a leaky inlet manifold. So you needed to re-jet it once the air box was back on and the inlet manifold replaced. You will need to mess with different main jets until it runs OK from mid range upwards, then adjust the idle mixture and idle speed settings until they are right too.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright I got it running great with midrange upwards but it won't ideal and shut off if I don't continuously give it gas messed with idea screw and mix screw like you said and I just can't get it dialed in the stock main is 85 went to 112 the stock pilot is 20 should I go up a size with the pilot also or could it be something else I'm over looking?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes, it is worth trying a bigger idle jet. The jets that came with the bike will be bigger than standard you could try it.