Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400...oily exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

I wasn't sure how the gear came off. In the service manual it talks about removing the collar but skips right to removing the counterbalance with the special tool and in the picture it shows the crank gear already removed.

This one is gonna be pretty sharp when I'm done since it seems like every where I turn I find more stuff that needs attention. Once I get the oil issue sorted out I have to finish the front suspension so I hope this thing runs out good since I have a bunch of time in it so far, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is the culprit. Filled the counterbalance again and ran the machine but was still smokey and oil coming from the exhaust. Checked the counterbalance and it was getting milky and pulled the drain plugs and got oil out of the crankcase. Pulled the stator plate to get to the water pump and counterbalance. The seal behind the gear was visually crooked and it basically fell out when I went to pull it. Cleaned everything up and checked the bearings over and put a new seal in. Got new waterpump seals and bearing and should have it back together after work tonight.

Perfect example why people should take there time and do it right the first time. Glad I didn't have much run time on this or I could see it taking a bottom end out.

Mike

Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Officially you're a 400 mechanic now..Good luck on your 2 stroke herd of machines. Your old greasy hands reminded me of mine,except my fingers are a bit crooked now.